• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Highlands Back on the rocks - Chapter 2.

Skaterboy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
We were down at Neist Point by dawn this morning and when we arrived there was a strong wind and the rain was hammering down. After a careful walk over the slippery wet rocks we got down onto a sheltered ledge and after seeing gannets diving just off the rocks I had a go for some mackerel for fresh bait. I was straight into them and soon had 20 fish in the bucket. My favourite pollack method at this deep mark is mackerel baited jellyworm fished deep and slow and I soon had 4 nice fish between 2 and 3 pounds. The next fish felt very different and much bigger and after a hard fight I netted a spurdog of 6lb 12oz, a species I've caught a few times on the baited lure. It wasn't a one off today though and the next two fish were spurdogs of 11lb 8oz and 9lb, great fun on the lure rod. As the fish were taking a moving bait they were all lip hooked, otherwise the fish would have bitten through the mono trace. I spent the rest of the session alternating between lure fishing and bottom fishing with big mackerel baits and caught more pollack and spurdogs. The rain stopped after a couple of hours and by the end of the day it was 20 degrees and sunny. The final tally for the day was 9 spurdogs including fish of 11lb 8oz, 9lb 4oz, 9lb and 8lb 8oz, 7 pollack between 2 and 3 lbs and 20 mackerel. Five of the spurs were caught on baited lures. Most of the spurdogs had sea lice on them, something I've rarely seen before.
DSCN2412.JPGDSCN2403.JPGDSCN2415.JPGDSCN2425.JPGDSCN2431.JPGDSCN2427.JPGDSCN2417.JPG

Well done sounds like a proper entertaining session. Some nice spurdogs.

Re the sea lice, any salmon farms nearby?
Thanks Thrasher. The nearest is about 3 miles away but there's a lot more salmon farms around the Skye coast.

Back