• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Baits for pike

filipb

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hello everyone, do you have any recommended baits that I may use to catch pike? :)

Sprats, Mackerel, and Herring are all effective as ledgered deadbait.

Whiting ...easy and sustainable to source, bright white for visuals . Iv had some crackers on it plus if the fish are targeted regularly then the chances are they won't of seen it before either .

Afternoon,good starting point in my opinion is to find out the food source the pike are feeding on. I mainly fish the northern broads and alter baits as to where I am, good standby baits I find are smelt,sardines,sprats,lampreys,bluey and not forgetting good ol’mackerel. You can get ‘pike packs’ as well with a selection so that is another way of finding out what they’re into.

Thank you for your answers, I will definitely try them all out.
Filip, since Pike are a freshwater species, you might be better putting your question in the Freshwater section of the forum.

Pollon are a great bait if you can get then naturally buoyant so pops up off the bottom well. Silvery fish so visual attraction as well as scent. Good if there’s weed on the bottom.

That's surely a fancy perch Trampster? A humble perch is something like a low lying tree branch?
I was of course referring to the freshwater fish from the genus 'perca'

Back