• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Bass o’clock!

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all. So I was invited out by a group of mates on Wednesday night to fish a fairly prolific hound spot. With the weed the way it’s been and the distinct lack of hounds after the warm spells, I was less than optimistic about it.
Nevertheless, I thought I’d show willing and go along but decided to grab some fresh lug for the trip. I only dug about 20 figuring that’d do but decided to also call up Roly at Ron Edwards to see if he had any rag. He only had 1/4lbs left and told me it was well past it’s best too. I decided I might as well grab it and he graciously gave it to me at half price!
I got to the mark with the lads and got set up. The water had scarcely met the shingle and we still had about 4hrs until high. It was phenomenally humid and storm bugs were a pest.
I had some live hardbacks but was still pessimistic for the hounds so baited one rod up with lug and the other with rag and out they went.
I wasn’t waiting too long for a nod on the rag but weed was already an issue and masking the bite.
After a while, I decided it was hooked and reeled in. A nice bass of 49cm slid up the shingle. I weighed it but it only went 1lbs 8oz, it didn’t seem right as I’m sure it was bigger.
I fished on and shortly after a similar scenario ensued. As I watched the rod, the lug rod sprang slack, I wasted no time in reeling it in but it was a tiny schoolie, only 23cm or so. Before I could unhook it though, the other rod slammed over and took my tripod over. Thankfully there was no damage as I picked it up but I could feel the fish thumping. Bass no.3 soon came up and this was a better one. 55cm!
Again I weighed it but it only went 2lbs. Something really wasn’t right, it was easily 3 if not 4lbs. After a couple of pics one of my friends kept it for the table and left soon after. I got all my gear sorted and back out fishing and decided it investigate my scales. I weighed a 6oz lead and it only read 3oz!! I realised part of the mechanism had twisted and was catching on the casing. A slight adjustment and it was all ok, weighing the 6oz lead correctly. I’ll never know the correct weights of the two fish though.
The night went on, one of my friends had a few lug and caught two bass, nothing huge though but the rag was doing the business. I managed 3 more at 37,32 & 31cm. I never weigh undersize fish so didn’t get to try the scales.
It was quiet over HW with the last bass coming just as the tide turned. The weed was impossible with the ebb as is often the case and I packed up.
No sign of a hound as predicted and all my mates crab baits remained untouched.
4531C30B-521A-42EB-A80E-D08E2A182900.jpeg0BAA605D-F568-4E38-89F1-B406F4B441E3.jpeg7BFBF69D-6AD8-4FDB-89AD-6BC9EC907B66.jpegE7CC35D0-4279-4F62-A66B-580C448D7E6D.jpegD6BF2902-0609-4F50-BD9E-569FA5214B7B.jpeg67D26C77-6CE9-49B1-8337-DCC0342E36B3.jpegF0457843-01BF-42C1-9BDC-0F66A2702827.jpeg

Another great report & photos Stormzy! Some lovely Bass, well done mate! ????

Back