• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Anglia Bawdsey

BRYAN M

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I visited Bawdsey yesterday whilst having a explore round Suffolk with the dogs and missus, and it looked a nice place to have a dangle when the tide isn't as vicious as yesterday.
Anyone fished it before, any tips??
Cheers all, BRYAN

Fished it several times and I found it very similar to Shingle Street with at this time of year whiting dominating and when milder some thornback and some good bass in summer.

Fished it several times and I found it very similar to Shingle Street with at this time of year whiting dominating and when milder some thornback and some good bass in summer.
I was thinking it looked like a good bass spot. I parked at the quay and then walked out onto the shingle peninsula and it looked pretty deep close in with a massive back eddy at the mouth of the river.
Looked sexxyyyy...

I visited Bawdsey yesterday whilst having a explore round Suffolk with the dogs and missus, and it looked a nice place to have a dangle when the tide isn't as vicious as yesterday.
Anyone fished it before, any tips??
Cheers all, BRYAN
Have you given this venue a go yet?

I've fished there a few times over the years, stoker has pretty much summed it up really.
Its actually not that deep either, a mate of mine swims there occasionally and he can stand up 50 yds out on low water.
the river water can carry some force with it too so you can't usually fish within 100-200 yds of the river on an ebbing tide, though that also depends on where the shingle banks are as that directs slot of the water flow.
I have seen it at times where there's a shingle spit that goes out 200-300 yds from the beach on the phone she of the river mouth, you could walk out easily but would only be able to fish it for about an hour or two maximum around low water.
I've had a good selection of fish over the years there, whiting, dabs, smooth hounds, thornbacks, flounder and dogfish. I've not had bass myself but a mate has had plenty on lures around the area over the last few years.
Good luck if/when you have a go there, would be great to see a report from the area.

I've fished there a few times over the years, stoker has pretty much summed it up really.
Its actually not that deep either, a mate of mine swims there occasionally and he can stand up 50 yds out on low water.
the river water can carry some force with it too so you can't usually fish within 100-200 yds of the river on an ebbing tide, though that also depends on where the shingle banks are as that directs slot of the water flow.
I have seen it at times where there's a shingle spit that goes out 200-300 yds from the beach on the phone she of the river mouth, you could walk out easily but would only be able to fish it for about an hour or two maximum around low water.
I've had a good selection of fish over the years there, whiting, dabs, smooth hounds, thornbacks, flounder and dogfish. I've not had bass myself but a mate has had plenty on lures around the area over the last few years.
Good luck if/when you have a go there, would be great to see a report from the area.
Cheers for the info matey. Was thinking on walking out on the shingle at low water then retreating before water came over it.

Good plan. You'll see the tide only goes out about 30-40yds on a decent tide there so not far to retreat. I used to leave my shelter up on the shingle bank with my gear in it and just stand by my rods near the water's edge, saves moving camp during the session.
One other thing, don't be afraid to drop a bait in close, squid or mac head can find a good bass occasionally. Though, don't hedge your bets on catching one, more likely to impale a ting on it than a bass most days.

Back