• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Been given a mixed bag of tackle, any good???

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Afternoon folks
Apologies for my absence.
Moving house, not had time to scratch my backside!
A friend just gave me a box of gear.
Think the previous tenants in his house had left it in his shed.IMG_20230326_165701849.jpgIMG_20230326_165847561.jpg
Is any of this any use to me (for shore fishing)?
Or is it for boat fishing, or is it for the museum/tip?
Any advice would be much appreciated 👍
IMG_20230326_165432389.jpgIMG_20230326_165503944.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_165432389.jpg
    IMG_20230326_165432389.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 9
The multiplier is a boat reel.The 3 reels together look like a centerpin or fly freshwater reel, a Scarborough sea reel and what looks like it might be an Australian side cast sea reel. In the real world {no pun intended} it's only odd characters like @The Third Earl who still use them. The tackle box looks like largely boat gear as well

Last edited:
The Round Brown real is a Scarborough centrepin for boat fishing, more of a display reel than a reel for use these days .The Round Yellow reel is an Alvey boat / beach float fishing reel , not the easiest to use but popular in Australia where they are made.
( not a sidecast as it has a line guard fitted )
The round Alloy reel is a “ Harlow” centrepin for trotting rivers, should be very free running but has a bit of corrosion to be seen on the inside of the back plate ,if you dont want it I may be interested to catch it as it is thrown away 😋😋.
The Multiplier is also a boat reel, cheaper end of the market.
The tackle box is mostly boat fishing sinkers , a couple of small pirks , line snd wire trace material .

Dave

Many thanks.
Some interesting gear!
Most of it new to me.
When I went to pick it up I thought it was full of bricks!
If I ever pull my finger out to make some weights, I've got some to melt down.
Would like to say I'll get into boat fishing but the shore is about my limit just now.
Went off a boat in Whitby last summer with the youngster and it was great, but not a cheap day out!

Many thanks.
Some interesting gear!
Most of it new to me.
When I went to pick it up I thought it was full of bricks!
If I ever pull my finger out to make some weights, I've got some to melt down.
Would like to say I'll get into boat fishing but the shore is about my limit just now.
Went off a boat in Whitby last summer with the youngster and it was great, but not a cheap day out!
If there's anything you don't want Tad, stick it on your local Gumtree or similar, and free up a little cash to invest in something else!

Morning Trampster

Hope you are well.
I'm in the process of having to empty my old shed. A blessing and a curse, as it was the receptacle of a rushed house move and another rushed house move and another...
All to be "sorted later".
Later has now arrived and I have until next weekend to empty it, so I think most of it will be getting sold on.
Not had time to even think about fishing the last 2 months but hopefully in April, will be getting out again 👍🙂

Morning Trampster

Hope you are well.
I'm in the process of having to empty my old shed. A blessing and a curse, as it was the receptacle of a rushed house move and another rushed house move and another...
All to be "sorted later".
Later has now arrived and I have until next weekend to empty it, so I think most of it will be getting sold on.
Not had time to even think about fishing the last 2 months but hopefully in April, will be getting out again 👍🙂
Hope all good with you too!
Know what you mean - when I moved in with Wifey 20 years ago, it was like 2 houses into one, and there's still stuff tucked in cupboards here that hasn't been sorted out. Some of my stuff was boxed up and taken over to France for storage - it's still there in boxes.

Not much interest in the multiplier or big centrepin.
Contemplating keeping them and getting a low end boat rod so that whenever we go boat fishing we don't have to hire gear.
Asked on the boat fishing section for advice, but any thoughts on cheap-ish boat rods (just for small-medium sized species) would be much appreciated 👍

Back