• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

BFS

JLD

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Been reading up a bit about BFS (bait finesse system) recently and decided to give it a go. Looked like fun. Got myself a rod, La Moustique rated 2 - 10gms, and a little baitcasting multiplier, Spirit Cat rated 1 - 10gms. Also some 0.06 8 strand j braid, some 4lb flourocarbon to use as leader and an assortment of chebrushka, light jigheads and soft plastics. Was starting to wonder how I would cope, fishing so light especially after reading a bit online. Casting such lighness is not so easy it seemed. So April 1st came and I headed off out the door after breakfast to the reservoir. My main ambition was to get a grip on the casting. Wasn't too bothered about catching fish. My biggest fear was getting a bloody great birds nest first cast and having to come home with my tail between my legs which might have put me off ever trying again. First efforts were pathetic, jigheads flying all over the place except where I wanted them to go, little birds nests, even a wind knot. But I persisted and eventually was able to cast quite smoothly although still not very accurately. It all seems to be about balance, making micro adjustments to the reel til you get it just right. Finding the sweet spot and it takes patience. Best cast for me seemed to be a sort of back handed sideways cast, every time I tried to go more overhead as I would with a beachcaster all I got was a birdy. Anyway, I fished the reservoir for a while and had 1 tiny perch for my troubles, really chuffed about that actually, then headed down the river in search of a brownie where I got not so much as one little knock. Didn't seem to be any life in there at all. Wasn't too bothered. Headed home again after about 5 hours, knackered as the river is on the other side a a bloody steep mountain but quite happy with life. I'll be back and try again.

Nice report, sounds like even though it was a bit troublesome at times you enjoyed yourself which is what its all about. Well done one the Perch (y)

Well done JLD. Mr Perch saved a blank, and you did well to get to grips with the Baitcaster. 🎣🎣👍👍

I've got a nice Quantum baitcaster reel, and I tried it on my Lure rod one afternoon - birds nests every other cast. Spent more time picking out knots than fishing. Have used fixed spools all of my life, and my thumb is just not programmable to use a baitcaster or multiplier!

With such light gear "distance" is not the aim of the game. I've watched loads of BFS stuff online and most of the guys that are good at it use an underhand flip when accurate casting is required. It's basically LRF but using a teeny bait aster instead of a tiny fixed spool. You should have loads of fun. Quite a few guys use it to catch honking big chub.

I've been fishing the river using lrf gear for a few years now. Casting to the opposite bank to try and get underneath overhanging branches etc is tricky with a FS but that's where I want to fish. I'm hoping to get a bit more accuracy with a multi. Still a bit concerned about what happens when I hook a big brownie.

I've been fishing the river using lrf gear for a few years now. Casting to the opposite bank to try and get underneath overhanging branches etc is tricky with a FS but that's where I want to fish. I'm hoping to get a bit more accuracy with a multi. Still a bit concerned about what happens when I hook a big brownie.
With the water companies dumping sewerage willy nilly, make sure the brown ones are actually fish.

The perch are good fun on light gear. I've had a few on a converted fly rod/bfs reel which I prefer now but none of any great size, until today that is when I landed a 43cm fish. My first really decent fish on that set-up. I did put it back but could not help wondering afterwards what it might have tasted like. Is that wrong ? Are they any good as an eating fish and, if they are, what exactly are the rules with regarding keeping them ? I have looked online and fund the advice quite confusing.

The perch are good fun on light gear. I've had a few on a converted fly rod/bfs reel which I prefer now but none of any great size, until today that is when I landed a 43cm fish. My first really decent fish on that set-up. I did put it back but could not help wondering afterwards what it might have tasted like. Is that wrong ? Are they any good as an eating fish and, if they are, what exactly are the rules with regarding keeping them ? I have looked online and fund the advice quite confusing.
You can take upto 15 a day if I remember rightly but they have to be under 20cm, I will try and find you a link later, that's for rivers, private waters obviously different.
I could be wrong 👍🤣

I was hoping I was reading it wrong. Won't the big perch just go on getting bigger and end up eating all the little troutlings ?

I was hoping I was reading it wrong. Won't the big perch just go on getting bigger and end up eating all the little troutlings ?

Yea Perch are quite good eating if caught from nice clean flowing water 👍
I remember in my (much) younger days reading the book 'Swallows and Amazons' - good book at the time. I'm pretty sure they were catching & eating Perch in the book!

Back