• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Big bream IOW

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
A late report from Tuesday.
I was out on the water by 9am and anchored off Bouldner Forest shortly afterwards in 24' of water at what turned out to be a very productive spot.
As usual I'd found the bottom of the drop off that runs all the way along there.
The first bait that landed on the bottom got picked up by something big, heavy and angry.
As I was fishing for bream, as usual, the chances of a size 4 hook holding it were slim, and after a couple of minutes just holding on the hook bent out a bit and the fish was lost.
Big smut or bass I think.
The bream have arrived and are much bigger than last year. Favourite bait was a whole squid head but the big ones also liked a small chunk of anchovy wrapped in a squid strip.
A passing thornback took a liking to one of my baits and despite my best efforts to get it up and within 10' of the boat it too spat the hook and disappeared. It was big, a PB certainly.
A small smoothie joined in the fun as did another thornback but the main target were bream.
The three hook rig presenting baits 6", 12" and 24" off the bottom was largely ignored, the other rod doing all the work. I'd got a wishbone rig, with weighted hooklengths, fishing hard on the bottom on this rod. Two copies already made for the next trip.
Final bream score was 7 in the bucket and a lot of smaller ones returned.
My fishing mate was fishing 50 yards away in 45' and had a couple of bigger smoothies and a stonking big bream, eyes the size of £2 coins, so got best fish award.
The tide turned and the fish disappeared as expected. The sea turned a bit lumpy, especially closer to Yarmouth Harbour but all good.
Definitely my best fishing session on my boat since I bought it. 18 months or there abouts since I got her and her bottom now needs a good scraping to clean off a lot of barnacles as they are causing serious "barnacle drag" and costing me about 5mph on my top speed.
I'm vestigating the options today but have already been quoted £100 to pull her out on a trailer, pressure wash the bottom then put back in.
Maybe half an hours work.

Nice report mate, and lovely Bream... 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back