• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Boat fishing in and around the solent

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hi all, can anyone give me some advice on what rod and reels plus tackle to buy for fishing of a boat in and around the solent? I'm looking to catch the usual Bass, Cod, pollock and whatever else wants to jump on the hook lol, I'm new to sea fishing on a boat so have no clue what I should buy, I don't want to spend thousands but I do want half decent stuff that will last at least a couple of years until I get more experience...🎣🛥

Thanks in advance 👍👍

I use 12-20 and 20-30 Shakespeare ugly stik elite paired with penn fathom 2 speed lever drag reels in size 15 and 30 respectively.
Love this set up and perfect for the species you mentioned.
Have you considered renting the boats tackle for the first trip or two to make sure you enjoy it?

I use 12-20 and 20-30 Shakespeare ugly stik elite paired with penn fathom 2 speed lever drag reels in size 15 and 30 respectively.
Have you considered renting the boats tackle for the first trip or two to make sure you enjoy it?
Thanks for the reply mate, I've been a few times and I love it so now I'm committing to a boat share and getting out as much as possible, I've used my mates tackle before but now I want and need my own👍👍

With a setup similar to yours how much would that cost me roughly and do you recommend somewhere to buy from mate? 👍👍

With a setup similar to yours how much would that cost me roughly and do you recommend somewhere to buy from mate? 👍👍

You could do a lot worse than having a look on Veals website.

Ugly stik elite rods around £64:

The Penn fathom 2 speed LD's are a bit more expensive:

The other option is to have a look for reels on eBay, remembering to select the lowest price + P&P:

Or have a look for 2nd hand stuff in your local area on Gumtree.

You could do a lot worse than having a look on Veals website.

Ugly stik elite rods around £64:

The Penn fathom 2 speed LD's are a bit more expensive:

The other option is to have a look for reels on eBay, remembering to select the lowest price + P&P:

Or have a look for 2nd hand stuff in your local area on Gumtree.
Thank you for your reply mate I will have a search today 👍 👍

Back