• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Boat tactics..a question.

Check out if the rod hire is an extra cost and how much you will have to pay for any gear lost in the rocks.
Ah, found the web site. Looks like all is included.

I'd be taking a few home tied rigs of various types like sets of jigging traces tied up with Gummimacks, hokkais, feathers etc and lure traces for sidewinders, shads etc that you can clip on and off/replace in seconds. Ask the skipper for his advice, if they have a website/FB page check that 1st., often it's better to text rather than call. You don't get long so buggering around looking for the right end tackle is not what you want - proper preparation prevents poor performance and all that. Most of all enjoy it and perhaps hope to learn a bit more for next time?

Last edited:
My daughter bought me a 4 Hr reef trip on Emma Kate out of padstow in September and not having fished of a boat since I was a youngun apparently they equip you with a rod reel and a weight with a boom and an artificial lure so was wondering is it just sink and draw with that sort of kit .
Any tips would be handy as time will be limited what with chugging out there and back and being a competitive sort I'm keen not to blank ....again
They have a facebook page , Emma Kate2, ask your lady to have a look. They do say that they have had a run of late arrivals which means a shorter trip because they have to be back in at a set time for the next lot. I imagine you would do a recce anyway. I did message them and they told me that they don't charge for rod hire or lost tackle unless you drop the rod and reel overboard.
Good way of asking any questions including which of their 3 boats you will be on.

They have a facebook page , Emma Kate2, ask your lady to have a look. They do say that they have had a run of late arrivals which means a shorter trip because they have to be back in at a set time for the next lot. I imagine you would do a recce anyway. I did message them and they told me that they don't charge for rod hire or lost tackle unless you drop the rod and reel overboard.
Good way of asking any questions including which of their 3 boats you will be on.
They were only showing bookings for today & tomorrow on the website, and they were all 2hr Mackerel trips.

They were only showing bookings for today & tomorrow on the website, and they were all 2hr Mackerel trips.
Easier to fill in the school holidays. A boat I use in Saundersfoot only does proper fishing trips outside school holidays. £20 x 10 ( max 12) punters for 5 trips of 90 mins is a lot of dough and he only has to travel 5 mins to the mackerel marks.

My daughter bought me a 4 Hr reef trip on Emma Kate out of padstow in September and not having fished of a boat since I was a youngun apparently they equip you with a rod reel and a weight with a boom and an artificial lure so was wondering is it just sink and draw with that sort of kit .
Any tips would be handy as time will be limited what with chugging out there and back and being a competitive sort I'm keen not to blank ....again
We have a saying on our regular charter boat
When all else fails, do what the skipper suggested.

Seen 20 lb pollock caught on inshore reefs and 10 lber will fight better than a bigger one on a deep sea wreak they ho a lot better inshore
I’d guess what’s left where Minstrel is going will be 2-6lbish fish, but who knows?

Yes they do give up a bit after the first couple of dives on a wreck.

Colours colours...! What to choose ,? If the waters deep I can't see the colour being an issue cos I reckon it's dark down there

Colours colours...! What to choose ,? If the waters deep I can't see the colour being an issue cos I reckon it's dark down there
I don’t know what other fish you might get but pollack aren’t too fussy.
Have tended to find blue is a good colour for them. Oddly.
Rhubarb and custard is often a good standby

Update...had a great day out . Followed all the tips and tactics on here and bam..some chunky Pollack put a bend in my rod and a smile on my face. A bass came over the side but sadly not mine.
Ps. Stugeron tabs work fantastic. Despite rocking and rolling like mad I didn't feel sick once.

Back