• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Brilliant day few species in the sun Dover

Had1

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Decided on going to samphire hoe yesterday with a mate, had to get away from scratching in the sewage round here ?.

It's where they dumped all the excavation from the channel tunnel .
.It created a snaggy reef with some kelp and lots of snags! A mile long concrete wall to fish with Dover cliffs behind is a nice place. Can pick up stuff here that you won't get off the shore elsewhere in Kent very often.
20220901_154415.jpg

Couldn't get any ragworm but dug lug and bought some lobs and maggots and squid along too.
Set up 3 rods to chop and change as wanted without faffing about tackling up. A 2 hook rig size 4s scratching. A big pennel rig rod for fishing squid or livebait down the wall .(not a bite all day on that. ) and a set of feathers ready for the odd cast as and when.

Very very strong crosswind not ideal for here.
Anyway I'll try not to drag it out to long.....

so started off with a few corkwing wrasse on maggots and lug .
20220901_121753.jpg20220901_131602.jpg
20220901_152630.jpg

And a blenny??
20220901_190604.jpg

Had about 10 12 wrasse altogether including a couple.of ballans aswell.

Lowered a rig down maggots on bottom hook and lug on the top... tappy tappy struck in caught a mackerel on maggots ?

20220901_153541.jpg

Tried 2 casts on feathers no more so gave up for a bit .

Then saw something massive jump out but in corner of eye so by the time looked round was just a huge wave and white water where it had breached...tuna? Dolphins ? Who knows.
Thought I'd bang the feathers back out in case it was a shoal of something and let it drop to the bottom. Nice hit and to my surprise a sizeable pollock comes in.

Returned it but went belly up ...all the wrasse and pout went back fine so I tried for more and thought I'll keep a couple if it wasn't a one off. Baited them this time and risked bumping em on bottom a bit in the snags.
Ended up with 5 upto 2lbs all sizeable. Like a bit of pollock so 3 of them and a bigger mackerel I caught near the end are all being cooked in a pie today ? just gotta find a recipe lol

My mate had a nightmare with snags just landing pouting but was fishing with big baits at range and just didn't work.

20220901_160443.jpg
20220902_083731.jpg

Last edited:
A tidy session. looks a nice easy spot to fish. I'm surprised there are no fluff chuckers about
Yeah is a great spot. There were about 10 at one point all feathering but in one group close to the car park like normal lol ... plus the site is off the motorway , tunnel through cliffs which helps isolate it and is 6 quid to fish probably puts a few off . Thought I'd got a freebie but the warden came round near the end ?should of left earlier.

Had some lovely wrasse from there over the years but haven't fished it for a long time now.
If you are bottom fishing then old bolts or nuts from railway bridges are good weights as are spark plugs and stones with holes in.
Float fishing is a good thing to do there and I always found that rag was the preferred bait down there.

Had some lovely wrasse from there over the years but haven't fished it for a long time now.
If you are bottom fishing then old bolts or nuts from railway bridges are good weights as are spark plugs and stones with holes in.
Float fishing is a good thing to do there and I always found that rag was the preferred bait down there.
These are the beauties I use there 2 oz each...got 100s from an old job . Funny thing is they're probably worth more each than a lead.
20220902_184853.jpg

Just checked out the location on google maps. That is certainly a different venue. Tunnel access too. Thanks for reporting. Hope your pie was nice.

Brilliant session there, very well done on the fish you had out there, stunning looking fish in the first pic.

Back