• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Burnham Sunday

bananas

Reaction score
Went up to Burnham on sea with rockmarks on Sunday in the hope of a Cod/codling/cod fish finger, well as usual got there too early and had to wait around for the water to get a lot higher, which was good as gave Martyn and me a chance to catch up as hadn't fished together for a while.
An hour later I thought it looked ok so slung one out, had walked a good way right as need to up tide a bit here, but the 6oz kept pace with me right up to my rest, then passed me rest, then on to where Martyn was, lucky he didn't have any rods out yet.
Passed him so time to bring him in, bit of a heave over the mud bank that's there, Martyn joked "bet there's a fish on the end", and yep, there bloody was, blank save by a brown muddy Whiting.
We gave it another half hour and two sandwiches, then got down to some proper fishing as the tide had finally made good, another Whiting for me before we had to start retreating, then quiet till we got to the steps and we both managed a Whiting each, had a couple a very good bites but both times the bait had gone from the middle of the hook and not the pointy bit.
High came and started to go out with the only excitement, was me knocking my rods and rest over a couple a times!!, the final Whiting came as the the tide was heading away in to the gloom.
Not a great session and not plagued like some this weekend with hordes a Whiting, but was good to catch up again with Martyn and not blank, must remember 2 up and 2down and mud is slippery.

We used to fish it the other way, at the other end, neap tides fished up. Any weed in the water and there's no holding even with heavy weights on a big tide. I was thinking of pottering up there soon but fear a whiting-fest..

We used to fish it the other way, at the other end, neap tides fished up. Any weed in the water and there's no holding even with heavy weights on a big tide. I was thinking of pottering up there soon but fear a whiting-fest..
Weed wasnt to bad and once the tide was over the bank, we was holding fine with 5oz, I like it here as its a easy but boring drive and not to far to walk from the car. plus do catch, well most times, some better fish.

Bad luck Bob. Did you go straight down the beach from the entrance?

I tried that a couple of months ago and it was very poor. Tide was okay and I can live with the mud, but all I had all day was one strap.

Not a place I’d be rushing back to, I must admit

Nice report Bob! ??

My worst memory of Burham on the Mud was fishing at White Light, it was muddy, I went for a big cast, went to move my feet to balance only to find them fixed firmly in the mud.
I arrived in the mud face first.
Nothing broken or lost, my brother still mentions it occasionally, it caused him great amusement at the time.

My worst memory of Burham on the Mud was fishing at White Light, it was muddy, I went for a big cast, went to move my feet to balance only to find them fixed firmly in the mud.
I arrived in the mud face first.
Nothing broken or lost, my brother still mentions it occasionally, it caused him great amusement at the time.
There’s a bit of a knack to moving around in mud.
Generally speaking, just try and keep moving - not striding up and down the bank but constant little motions and twists of the feet to prevent getting too bogged down.
I spent many years fishing our local muddy estuary so you kind of do it without thinking in the end.
And if you do get stuck, work the limb at angles to break the suction rather than trying to lift it directly out.

And if you should step on a bottomless patch, throw yourself forward instantly and then you can squirm out before you get hopelessly stuck.
Have only had to do that a couple of times and needless to say, I was plastered, but it got me out of the mud quickly.

Bad luck Bob. Did you go straight down the beach from the entrance?

I tried that a couple of months ago and it was very poor. Tide was okay and I can live with the mud, but all I had all day was one strap.

Not a place I’d be rushing back to, I must admit
Yep straight down, we was up as the parrot starts, theres just one level of mud before the water there so mostly fishing is done from the beach and steps, mud gets in the steps too, so i found☹️.
Have had codling here before and a hefty thornie earlier this year.

Unlucky bud, it's one of my locals Burnham ?

I don't fish it.

Used to be good years ago, but very patchy these days, although can still chuck some decent fish out.

I just kitesurf there these days, so if windy steer clear of Popular road area and give me a wave ??

I used to fish 4hrs down to low or either side of low on neeps (sub 10m) and up around the lighthouse. Used to get lots of codling around there and the engine block as it was known..... May have gone now though.

If you want help on marks before you head up... Message me ?

Back