• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales CEFN SIDAN TODAY

VooDooMan 2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
IMG_20201125_155057_0.jpg
Two cracking flounder for frying pan . The biggest must have been 2lbs . Both full of roe . Hard work catching them though. Lug worm from the tackle shop was nowhere as good I normally get from my private supplier and the rag worm were huge and not normally my bait of choice. A medium size tide with HW at 1500 hrs meant a daylight session for my novice mate. Sun was very bright all day and a light off shore north westerly breeze meant nice weather for a change. Normal two rod approach but used my bass rod and 3 1/2lb test curve carp rod as I knew we'd be pretty mobile as the tide flooded. Baited up one with razor and frozen black lug and the the other plenty a two hook flapper with plenty of bling . Made a school boy error and only took some pyramid and flat leads which failed to hold bottom during the strongest part of the tide and as this beach is at the start of a big inlet there is always a strong right to left flow. Note to self " Always pop a couple of break away leads in the bag ". Anyway the big baits failed to produce so switched to a wessex rig with worm on the second rod . Fished hard for 4 1/2 hours and the two flounder were the only fish caught .
Well pleased with the new tripod basket I treated myself to , and I now wonder why I never brought one before. The fish are now filleted ready for tea tomorrow. I can assure all you cynics that flounder caught from this beach do not taste at all muddy , in fact they are very tasty.
As I already mentioned both were full of roe and they had both been feeding on tiny cockles . Hopefully we'll get a couple more sessions in before they head in to deeper water to spawn .
Footnote : Novice mate had a right mare of a day. Reel problems meant he ended up fishing only one rod , sliced his finger open on his bait knife and then lost a weight and several rigs due to poorly tied knots . A steep and expensive learning curve for him .

Nice flatties (y).

Nice report and a brace of lovely looking Flounder VDM! Just looking at them is making me hungry! ?? ??

A decent plate full there, nice one.

Back