• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Chesil middle

squidword

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Planned a social trip over the middle reaches of chesil, by Saturday afternoon we were all set up with the BBQ cooking away. Fishing was very slow, odd red Gurnard, red mullet, dragonette. Struggled to hold bottom at distance, bit of weed in the water. Second rod dropped in the gutter found 4 decent sized black bream. As the light went plenty of scad and some really chunky mackerel. Made a nice blood /groundbait trail in the hope of attracting an undulate, mullet or bass. Unfortunately the eels never gave any other fish a look in, lost count of numbers mostly straps, a few around the 6-8lb mark, with one fish on the shingle a good high double, maybe even 20lb, biting through the snood and sliding back down into the depths. A few dogs mixed in, with a decent pout of 2lb2oz added a little variety. Lots of very decent mullet feeding along the edge, straight in on the scent trail, a couple of times I watched then swim up to my pop ups (which are tiny) only to swerve away at the last minute! Reckon they could see my 10lb flouro, needed a light line or possibly float might of got them. I find the mullet of chesil either almost suicidal or impossible to catch ?. On this occasion the latter. Bit underwhelmed by the fishing, was expecting much better results on this mark. Still an enjoyable session with good company, a few laughs and plenty of grub and cold beers.

Nice trip ,although perhaps slow by chesil local standards , that's a lovely mix of species for most. And double or 20lbs eels is a good scrap even if not desirable lol can't moan. Might make my first pilgrimage soon well done.

Well done mate plenty of fish for a quite session, most people would love a session like that , a 20lb eel , black bream , gurnard, red mullet , scad etc , a dream session I think

Great report mate, i always think any fish on the beach is a bonus at chesil, so very well done on the mixed bag you had, ??.
Im amazed at how people carry stoves food beers all the way up the bank and along, i struggle with my small bag and rods!!, Fancy starting a sherpa business at all squid ????

Nice report Squiddy, and a few species beached! Sounds like the BBQ was a good Craic too! ??????

Back