• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Chesil today, help needed

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Checking xc every hour on Tuesday and Wednesday, I had a feeling it would be good for a rare beach fishing trip to Chesil to snag a codling. A quick phone around the east Devon/ West Dorset tackle shops proved that lugworm were in short supply, but, managed to track some fresh blacks down. Got to the beach and sea was nearly flat, but, lovely colour to it. To cut it short, I had one small codling, 3 pout and a strap, so a bit of letdown. Saw other anglers land some codling, including some decent looking ones.

However, some issues, the fresh blacks were small and not very juicy being mostly filled with sand, so quite disappointing for £6.50 for 10, where is the best place to get worm in east Devon/west Dorset please?

I dropped 4 slack liner bites, all of them using the drop down pulley rig. To be fair I took the wrong rig box, so only had pulleys and drop down pulleys, instead of my preferred 1 hook clipped down pats. For all the beach experts out there, are the drop down pulley rigs a complete waste of time? I normally only use them and the standard pulleys over rough ground, but, sadly had no choice today, lesson learned for future trips to check and double check what rigs I take before leaving home🤦‍♂️

I was fishing at Abbotsbury and think the small tides affected the steepness of the beach - it wasn’t the step drop off I anticipated - and thus depth, but, I was trying all different ranges, however, fear I might have missed out due to my lack of distance casting. Any hints and tips on appropriate casting distance for the codling would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
First tip is get away from other anglers as you are fighting over the fish. You often find if someone is left or right of you depending on tide flow. You need to find the distance the fish are, often after a stir up they are in the gutter, very easy to overcast the fish. Certain areas of Chesil will produce more cod, a good walk beyond the teeth or a hike past the bird sanctuary. Smaller baits often out fish big baits, just match hook size to bait size. Fixed rigs are much better for hooking codling on chesil, shortish hook links of 18 inches or so if its rough. If its clear I use loop rigs with size 1/0s and half a worm. A single black on a size 2/0 or 3/0 is plenty. I often fold the black in half and whip it, so baits are shorter. Hope this helps.

Thanks squidword, very useful tips and I will take them on board. The fresh blacks I received were mostly only 2-3in long - once you removed the sandy tails - so couldn’t have folded them. Where do you find the best place to get fresh blacks is please?

Thanks squidword, very useful tips and I will take them on board. The fresh blacks I received were mostly only 2-3in long - once you removed the sandy tails - so couldn’t have folded them. Where do you find the best place to get fresh blacks is please?
Mate after a blow on chesil you did well to find any blacks locally.
If the blow comes on the back of spring tides you get bigger worms if its shortening tides you get what you got.
You could wait till a massive set of springs and do a big online order and carefully freeze them, I would always prefer fresh but a big clump of frozen does work.
As for 6.50.... it it what it is, you spend a shit tonne on fuel gear and parking so the actual cost is negligible in my opinion, if you buy four wraps at 4.50 or four wraps at 6.50 we are talking a tenner its negligable in the great scheme of things.

was busy down there yesterday and tbf I walked up past the teeth the colour started dropping out fairly quick. They were about but had to work for them ended up with 5 best going just over 5lb. Worm wise I ordered mine the weekend for Tuesday delivery and they were spot on plus 100 for 58 notes delivered I ain’t arguing over. Was only using two or three bunched together and whipped prefer it over a long strung out bait. But I went shit or bust on 4/0 -5/0 pennel rigs.

Attachments

• IMG_4412.jpeg
    IMG_4412.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4413.jpeg
    IMG_4413.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 18
Nice 👍. I'm there Monday to Friday so hopefully we will get a few, staying at freshwater, first timer's any advice welcome.
Big well done on ur codling

Mate after a blow on chesil you did well to find any blacks locally.
If the blow comes on the back of spring tides you get bigger worms if its shortening tides you get what you got.
You could wait till a massive set of springs and do a big online order and carefully freeze them, I would always prefer fresh but a big clump of frozen does work.
As for 6.50.... it it what it is, you spend a shit tonne on fuel gear and parking so the actual cost is negligible in my opinion, if you buy four wraps at 4.50 or four wraps at 6.50 we are talking a tenner its negligable in the great scheme of things.
Yes I knew the dropping tides would create a limited bait supply and it isn’t the money, happy to spend whatever to get good bait, so curious to see if there is one consistent shop or even online supplier. Not a lover of frozen blacks, but, looks like it would be useful backup bait to have in the freezer.

was busy down there yesterday and tbf I walked up past the teeth the colour started dropping out fairly quick. They were about but had to work for them ended up with 5 best going just over 5lb. Worm wise I ordered mine the weekend for Tuesday delivery and they were spot on plus 100 for 58 notes delivered I ain’t arguing over. Was only using two or three bunched together and whipped prefer it over a long strung out bait. But I went shit or bust on 4/0 -5/0 pennel rigs.
Well done, awesome fishing. Out of curiousity, which online supplier provided your worm please?

Always worth a back of frozen even if it’s to bulk out fresh or for cocktails. Found yesterday didn’t want to know squid unless it was a strap or dog had all my codling on straight blacks.

Nice 👍. I'm there Monday to Friday so hopefully we will get a few, staying at freshwater, first timer's any advice welcome.
Big well done on ur codling
I am the wrong man to give advice, 4 sessions at Chesil in 7 years means I am an absolute beginner. I look for strong SW winds and then fish it as soon as the swell drops. However, I am a novice so sure others will give you better advice. Have a good holiday.

PS Worth watching the shore hunter on you tube, he does a lot of videos about Chesil.

Monday looking ok weather wise for fishing. Not a lot of tide but should be enough colour in the water still could be worth trying last of ebb and the flood just incase it clears. Went to the deep end today and the colours dropped right out. Abbotsbury will be worth a shot and hopefully a bit quieter. Go right from the car park along the back of the beach and cut up over anywhere from the sign onwards depending how fit you feel. Stick to the shelf and if your going down there to cast read the waves and don’t turn your back on em always the odd big un washing up the beach. Other than that enjoy it.

Back