• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Chesil - what happened to the fish?

dodders

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
With Chesil generally fishing well at the moment I couldn’t wait to get back and arranged to pick up Bananas en-route. Quality ragworm collected from Abbotsbury tackle along with a few fresh blacks and some frozen squid.
We got to the car park at Ferrybridge just after 1 pm which gave us the last couple of hours of the ebb and the flood to fish.
We had a particular spot in mind which may have had something to do with John getting a triggerfish there last week! As is often the case someone was just setting off before us and they seemed to be heading for the exact same spot! No problem as the beach here was empty apart from the three of us.

We both started off with 3 hook rigs with small hooks and ragworm hoping to snare a red mullet, and within a short time bob was shouting that he had one!
I had to wait about an hour for my first bite which resulted in a nice black bream.

And that was it for most of the day for both of us.
I think we had both given up hope but were still recasting with fresh baits regularly as they were often being stripped by spiders (I thought they had gone)
Midway through the flood I did manage a red mullet following a series of missed rattly bites.
untitled-3.JPG
There were a few shoals of mackerel thrashing about near the shore and I managed to catch a couple of those on a spinner to relieve the monotony of staring at static rod tips.
We had initially thought of fishing till high water which would have been an hour into darkness, but we both agreed at 8pm that we would have one last cast as nothing was happening.
Both started to pack away gear and finally pull in rods. I pulled in what felt like a lump of weed which turned into a nice black bream and the other rod which again had shown no sign of movement pulled in another red mullet!

What a difference a few days makes. I guess that for whatever reason the fish were just not on the feed. Contrast a couple of weeks ago when the bream were smashing the rod tip over and yesterday when I didn’t even notice a bite. The chap just up from us only seemed to get one fish, although it did seem a bit trigger shaped. There were several anglers a few hundred yards away – I hope they were more successful than us !

Nice report Mick, and well done on getting your Red Mullet for the species hunt! ????

Tide size dude.... tides....
I'm sure your right there Pete, they're getting smaller but I couldn't wait as I'm off to Scotland (fly fishing) next week so had to get my fix as I won't be able to go for another 3 weeks. I'm still surprised just how poor it was for us yesterday. My hardest ever day on Chesil

I'm sure your right there Pete, they're getting smaller but I couldn't wait as I'm off to Scotland (fly fishing) next week so had to get my fix as I won't be able to go for another 3 weeks. I'm still surprised just how poor it was for us yesterday. My hardest ever day on Chesil
Its ok if your local you can just go and chance you arm.... people travelling here and planning in advance need to be aware of the tides.... on the bright side 3 weeks from now would be one of the best tide phases this year!!!
Maybe we should have a bit of a group bash, I have two mates coming down from newcastle and its been planned on the basis of those tides for months.
Meet up anyone??

Its ok if your local you can just go and chance you arm.... people travelling here and planning in advance need to be aware of the tides.... on the bright side 3 weeks from now would be one of the best tide phases this year!!!
Maybe we should have a bit of a group bash, I have two mates coming down from newcastle and its been planned on the basis of those tides for months.
Meet up anyone??
I would be if I'm back from Scotland but I think I'll just miss it .....back on 12th September, but that's Wedding Anniversary so 13th!

Meet up anyone??

I’m game……… been a while aint it lol

I’m game……… been a while aint it lol
Yes J your gonna have to get your Mrs to blow the dust off your tackle!!! I am not thinking some big organised see everyone in the car park at 12 mins past nine meetings thinking more of a "I reckon its worth having a bash at xxxxx tomorrow, will be there about ten, look for a big fat bloke, yellow shelter, and a gay white dog" sort of arrangement.

Last edited:
I would be if I'm back from Scotland but I think I'll just miss it .....back on 12th September, but that's Wedding Anniversary so 13th!
If you are going up there you will be coming back with monkey pox anyway...... that lot will put rohypnol in you irn brew.... your wife wont want you in the house!!! best come to the beach mate .... just to be safe.

Yes J your gonna have to get your Mrs to blow the dust off your tackle!!! I am not thinking some big organised see everyone in the car park at 12 mins past nine meetings thinking more of a "I reckon its worth having a bash at xxxxx tomorrow, will be there about ten, look for a big fat bloke, yellow shelter, and a gay white dog" sort of arrangement.

Blow the dust off….. more like wipe the salt off, and clean the mold out of the box ?? might even treat my rigs to new hooks lol. Will have to see how sharp they are. ??

Fantastic Red Mullet mate. And great pic. ? ? (y)

Ian.

Nice write up of a slow session, was painful for me as had my Mullet in the first 30 mins then spent 6 hours just changing bait every 10-15 mins.
Was great watching the boils a Mackerel appearing and disappearing, had a Garfish leap out the water as my bait hit the water a few inches from him.
Great company as usual, cheers Mick for doing the driving (y) (y)

Slow on sat as well sometimes wonder if massive tides slow the fishing and yours was dropping still you got some nice fish and think of worst places to chill beys well done ?

Back