• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Crab lure

Wolf

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I use a 38g crab lure ,but as soon as I start to reel in it rises up fast,I've tried putting a 28g lead between the swivel and the lure,but it still rise's to quick,Any advice anyone ????,I want to keep the lure nearer the bottom for as long as possible.

Has anyone ever caught a fish on a make believe crab lure ?
Nope, but we have caught crabs on SPs’ and a mate caught a lobster a few years back on an Albie.
I took an injured bass last week, the first for many years and it had a peeler inside. Strange, as the smelt and sandeel were around in large numbers.
I shall try an artificial crab lure again, but I’m not expecting much.

Nope, but we have caught crabs on SPs’ and a mate caught a lobster a few years back on an Albie.
I took an injured bass last week, the first for many years and it had a peeler inside. Strange, as the smelt and sandeel were around in large numbers.
I shall try an artificial crab lure again, but I’m not expecting much.
i have caught crabs with bait many a time , and crabs without bait ??? before , ???

I know someone who caught crabs in Mombassa. Useless info :unsure:o_O

I love when people try new or novel or unconventional methods..good luck and fingers crossed for you
Wouldn’t life be incredibly dull if we didn’t try new things?
As soon as I’ve caught a bass on a lure, I change it for something new, knowing they’re feeding and it’s a good experiment to check the viability of a new technique or lure. I’ve had some fantastic success and loads more abject failures, but I’m probably going to try using a crab pattern under a float/bombarda rig. I have the strange feeling that we impart too much action to our lures at times and this maybe a way of allowing distance and a more natural presentation.

I use a 38g crab lure ,but as soon as I start to reel in it rises up fast,I've tried putting a 28g lead between the swivel and the lure,but it still rise's to quick,Any advice anyone ????,I want to keep the lure nearer the bottom for as long as possible.
That's the idea of them. They fish best on the drop so a few quick winds, allow them to sink and repeat

If anyone tries these successfully then be interested to hear.
Not something I'd try unless maybe for wrasse under a float ,would still prefer a live one though.
Can't really think of when a plastic crab would work better than a nice actioned fish or sandeel imitation if luring, or live crab ,worm or fish bait if bait fishing ?
All for trying new stuff just can't imagine it being more effective in many situations at all .

I have tried pealer oil and crab lures this year a couple of times so far. Main issue ive been having is they snag easily...Havent caught a thing on them yet though :ROFLMAO:

They definitely get some interest though (gulp pealers). Something nibbles the legs off em :ROFLMAO: I have the larger rubber ones too.

A notable point in this is the fact i would not do this if live bait was available and sustainable.Crabs have been decimated in my area due to the Tees dredging.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried pealer oil and crab lures this year a couple of times so far. Main issue ive been having is they snag easily...Havent caught a thing on them yet though :ROFLMAO:

They definitely get some interest though (gulp pealers). Something nibbles the legs off em :ROFLMAO: I have the larger rubber ones too.

A notable point in this is the fact i would not do this if live bait was available and sustainable.Crabs have been decimated in my area due to the Tees dredging.
There’s a really interesting video on YouTube showing French fly fishermen sight fishing for bass in Brittany I think. The water was only a couple of feet deep and the bass were nosing around in the rocks and weedy gullies, the crab lures they were using caught plenty of very good bass. I guess, as always with bass fishing, once you have located them they can often be very easy to catch but finding feeding fish is always the challenge. I think the title of the clip is “bar a la mouche”. (grave accent on the letter ‘a’, but I can’t work out how to do it!)

There’s a really interesting video on YouTube showing French fly fishermen sight fishing for bass in Brittany I think. The water was only a couple of feet deep and the bass were nosing around in the rocks and weedy gullies, the crab lures they were using caught plenty of very good bass. I guess, as always with bass fishing, once you have located them they can often be very easy to catch but finding feeding fish is always the challenge. I think the title of the clip is “bar a la mouche”. (grave accent on the letter ‘a’, but I can’t work out how to do it!)
Further to my note about the video where a crab imitation was used, the full title of the video is “peche du bar a la mouche en Bretagne”

Further to my note about the video where a crab imitation was used, the full title of the video is “peche du bar a la mouche en Bretagne”

Just watched it Thanks, Interesting as i came from fly fishing first. Still have not had any luck on my bio rubber whatever crab lures sadly. I gave one to the lad next to us up Scotland hoping he would have some luck with it.

I really want them to work over real crab. I am pondering cuttiny slits in one and adding some foam to soak in pealer oil

Back