• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently cat fishing

ouchthathurt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After my son lost a large cat at the net last week, I felt the need to avenge him on his behalf, so with a fresh bag of premiers finest superaminos base mix arriving, I set about knocking up a few kg of boilies, using the aforementioned basemix with regular sense appeals, shellfish sense appeals, salmon oil and cream palatant, the end result was a spicy/fishy concoction that to be honest I was a bit unsure of, but time would tell!

I set up in catfish corner on main lake at Hawkhurst, the swim of my sons epic and ultimately futile battle and clipped up both rods to the gully at the back of the larger island. I gave it a good hit of bait as it was fizzing like a jacuzzi, two stringers attached to slip D rigs on helicopter rigs soon found themselves in the pond and I settled back under the brolly listening to the rain.

I quickly had a take, which kited 20ft but when I struck, there was nothing there! This was followed by another belting run which was a 16lb common that didn’t want its photo taken! Next run produced a loss, the fish kited around the back of a smaller island and slipped the hook. I then had a twitchy take followed by a savage drop back which resulted in a mutant 18lb common carp IMG_8215.jpegnext take was a twitchy drop back followed by a one note screamer, which turned out to be a 16lb catfish… a nice start, but I didn’t feel the boy avenged just yet IMG_8218.jpegthis one tangled both rods, which necessitated a complete retackle of both, so that done, I got them both out there again and tried to get some sleep, it was 6am by now! At 8am I had a blistering take, I hoped it was a large carp, but after a powerful scrap, that took me all over the place, a 28lb catfish rolled into the net. IMG_8232.jpegIMG_8257.jpegJustice was finally served… also my son had lost his scales on the last trip, I found them in the long grass! So as a final nod to the boy, I weighed the cat on his scales…

Now I just have to tell him!

The new and improved bait seemed to be a hit too!

Well done Ouchy! Some great fish. 🎣🎣 👍👍

After my son lost a large cat at the net last week, I felt the need to avenge him on his behalf, so with a fresh bag of premiers finest superaminos base mix arriving, I set about knocking up a few kg of boilies, using the aforementioned basemix with regular sense appeals, shellfish sense appeals, salmon oil and cream palatant, the end result was a spicy/fishy concoction that to be honest I was a bit unsure of, but time would tell!

I set up in catfish corner on main lake at Hawkhurst, the swim of my sons epic and ultimately futile battle and clipped up both rods to the gully at the back of the larger island. I gave it a good hit of bait as it was fizzing like a jacuzzi, two stringers attached to slip D rigs on helicopter rigs soon found themselves in the pond and I settled back under the brolly listening to the rain.

I quickly had a take, which kited 20ft but when I struck, there was nothing there! This was followed by another belting run which was a 16lb common that didn’t want its photo taken! Next run produced a loss, the fish kited around the back of a smaller island and slipped the hook. I then had a twitchy take followed by a savage drop back which resulted in a mutant 18lb common carp View attachment 50481next take was a twitchy drop back followed by a one note screamer, which turned out to be a 16lb catfish… a nice start, but I didn’t feel the boy avenged just yet View attachment 50482this one tangled both rods, which necessitated a complete retackle of both, so that done, I got them both out there again and tried to get some sleep, it was 6am by now! At 8am I had a blistering take, I hoped it was a large carp, but after a powerful scrap, that took me all over the place, a 28lb catfish rolled into the net. View attachment 50483View attachment 50484Justice was finally served… also my son had lost his scales on the last trip, I found them in the long grass! So as a final nod to the boy, I weighed the cat on his scales…

Now I just have to tell him!

The new and improved bait seemed to be a hit too!
Did you use whiskas cat food - just jesting, a great catch (y)

Went on Saturday night to day ticket lake, which isn't normally my thing but a friend booked us on for 24 hours a while ago and the time came 🙂
Was a nice little place though despite my doubts haha . Although a bit cramped with plenty of others fishing my friend had 17 catfish in 16 hours and went home!!
I did 23 hours and had 6 catfish and 6 carp. They must of really been feeding hard in our swim .
IMG-20230917-WA0004.jpg

20230917_123847.jpg20230917_143834.jpg

Went on Saturday night to day ticket lake, which isn't normally my thing but a friend booked us on for 24 hours a while ago and the time came 🙂
Was a nice little place though despite my doubts haha . Although a bit cramped with plenty of others fishing my friend had 17 catfish in 16 hours and went home!!
I did 23 hours and had 6 catfish and 6 carp. They must of really been feeding hard in our swim .
View attachment 51279

View attachment 51276View attachment 51277
Lovely fully scaled (y) you can keep the stinky messy catfish ;) Great fishing well done (y)

Lovely fully scaled (y) you can keep the stinky messy catfish ;) Great fishing well done (y)
Cheers , apparently its sought after a bloke.told me a few swims down haha and yes they are slimy buggers they pull back though

Yea some lovely big scales on it 👍👍
I went for the cats as a one off on this session. Put a fully on the carp thread from another lake just now and has even bigger scales than that one and is a real brute. All in all a good couple of trips this last week.
Won't be doing much fishing for a good few weeks now though unfortunately.

I went for the cats as a one off on this session. Put a fully on the carp thread from another lake just now and has even bigger scales than that one and is a real brute. All in all a good couple of trips this last week.
Won't be doing much fishing for a good few weeks now though unfortunately.
You've had some nice catches 👍 well done 👍

Hi , update this thread went back to the same lake as a few posts above for a 24 hour session about 2 weeks ago , fished more catfish targeted baits like chunks of chorizo and mackeral so no carp this time just exactly the same amount of cats as last time ,6, to about the same weight . Again my mate had a load more than me , although to the same biggest size, by constantly putting bait in while I slept instead for a bit , it's not exactly a natural stocking and they are eating machines, only my 2nd time doing this kind of place but was good fun and puts a bend in the rod in nice surroundings
IMG-20240406-WA0015.jpg
20240406_164218.jpg20240406_141949.jpg

Horrible things lol. Be glad if i never see one again. Good fight though.
Well done on getting a few 💪🏻
Not my thing either really but my mate loves it and iv agreed to 2 trips a year no more lol 😆, added stuff to the carping thread to which might hold more interest to you .

Back