• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

December Round Up

Devon Lerfer

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Happy New year everyone.

December has been a decent month for us LRFers, I've not had chance to do a report so here's a bit of a round up.

Early in the month we headed for Babbacombe pier, we fished all day and into darkness and ended up with 11 species between us. There were tonnes of small garfish which I just couldn't hook although my mate Jon had a couple. The species were mackerel, ballan, corkwing, rock goby, scorpion fish, tompot blenny, pollock, herring, garfish, pout and whiting.
IMG_20201203_161957.jpg
IMG_20201203_155210.jpg
IMG_20201203_165210.jpg
IMG_20201203_163731.jpg
A winter Torbay mackerel is a very reliable catch and we've had some great sport chucking metal jigs at them over the last few weeks. Its been a fish a chuck at times, which has been brilliant fun and almost makes you forget we're in the middle of winter. Has been lovely to watch the dolphins in the bay too, presumably there for the mackerel as well.
IMG_20201230_170123.jpg
IMG_20201230_170017.jpgIMG_20201230_094017.jpgIMG_20201230_135225.jpg
We've also had plenty of wrasse within the bay, on the heavier HRF gear mostly. I actually nabbed one the other day that I watched follow a mackerel that I'd hooked up to the surfacs. I whacked on a 3" Easy Shiner and had the angry little bugger within a couple of casts.
IMG_20201230_143428.jpg
IMG_20201230_124516.jpg
There have also been plenty of mini species about with lots of scorps and corkwing still feeding hard.
Tight lines everyone, here's to a fish filled 2021 ??

Last edited:
Happy New year everyone.

December has been a decent month for us LRFers, I've not had chance to do a report so here's a bit of a round up.

Early in the month we headed for Babbacombe pier, we fished all day and into darkness and ended up with 11 species between us. There were tonnes of small garfish which I just couldn't hook although my mate Jon had a couple. The species were mackerel, ballan, corkwing, rock goby, scorpion fish, tompot blenny, pollock, mackerel, garfish, pout and whiting.
View attachment 3342
View attachment 3343
View attachment 3344
View attachment 3345
A winter Torbay mackerel is a very reliable catch and we've had some great sport chucking metal jigs at them over the last few weeks. Its been a fish a chuck at times, which has been brilliant fun and almost makes you forget we're in the middle of winter. Has been lovely to watch the dolphins in the bay too, presumably there for the mackerel as well.
View attachment 3346
View attachment 3347View attachment 3348View attachment 3349
We've also had plenty of wrasse within the bay, on the heavier HRF gear mostly. I actually nabbed one the other day that I watched follow a mackerel that I'd hooked up to the surfacs. I whacked on a 3" Easy Shiner and had the angry little bugger within a couple of casts.
View attachment 3350
View attachment 3351
There have also been plenty of mini species about with lots of scorps and corkwing still feeding hard.
Tight lines everyone, here's to a fish filled 2021 ??
Some beautiful fish mate, fantastic report. Well done

Great report and cracking pics, well done on the fish you have had out the bay, impressive.

Great report and cracking pics, well done on the fish you have had out the bay, impressive.
Cheers mate, I always seem to have good fishing in the bay at this time of year. It seems to take a while to get going early in the year, I've had some really naff sessions even into June but the fishing seems to really kick on in Autumn and stays pretty steady into January, as long as the weather isn't too rough. Hope to squeeze a few more sessions in before those dire months of March and April ?

Back