• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Deja vu

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Back at Saunton Sands on the bass hunt Saturday night, this time with @Christurner

It’s not necessarily the most prolific bass beach but tide times and size didn’t leave us with many local options.

We set up about where I went last time, mainly because there’s some shallow sand banks overlooking a bit of a depression - nothing too obvious but it’s worth aiming for any sort of feature on an otherwise flat beach.

As we tackled up a bloke walked past us in the dark, then set up no more than 50 yards past Chris. Why he felt the need to go that close when he had another mile plus of beach to his left, god knows 🙄
Anyway, once tackled up we moved back to the right further away from him 🙄

It was slow to start but I was chatting to Chris and he pointed out my ratchet was going (my crap hearing). Rushed back and started bringing in a fish, or thought I did.
At the same time the ratchet on the other rod started.
Really wasn’t sure if I was pulling in the other one or had a fish or what. Made my way out into the surf and certainly seemed to be bringing in a weight - until I wasn’t. The bait was shredded though, so maybe.
Quite hard to tell last night as the surf wasn’t huge, but it was STRONG and really pulling on the gear as well as surging way up the beach.

Oh. The other rod. Same story. Seemed to be something on again. Was it one of those weird nights when the surf keeps digging the weight in?
But nope, this was definitely pulling back and lo and behold, a ray.
A foul hooked ray 😬

If you look close you can see the tears in his eyes 😬😬😬 He certainly looks shocked anyway!

IMG_7969.jpeg

The hook wasn’t in too deep and seemed to just be in a meaty part and came out easy enough. Probably about 5lb.

Back he went and soon after Chris had a ray of 1-2lb.

Not long after, I had another, this was smaller, maybe 3-4lb ish?

IMG_7970.jpeg

I can’t recall the order or if these are the right pics, but Chris had a better one, about 6-7lb.

a71ba2b3-6ca0-4b64-ad0a-436a2c6b8907.jpeg

Here’s another. I’m wondering if this is actually a thornback? Odd markings for a small eyed…

7ffe17c9-9c5c-43ee-87f5-8df6c16c895a.jpeg

I had another that was worth half a smile

00207b8d-a92e-489d-83ef-27326171964b.jpeg

The demonic possession still hasn’t quite cleared up 😬

I’d just gone back to my rods after returning that one and the other rod was bending over. Ooh, this looks better! Bass?

Quite an odd fight, kept going light, thought I’d lost it, then it was pulling again.
Then it was washed closer to shore behind me, really really strong surf.
Oh. It’s a bloody eel.
It wasn’t huge, 8/9lb or something. I didn’t have the heart to do a photo and instead wrestled with the slimy shit so I could get it in my weighing sling and carry it back out to deeper water. Bloody things.

We retreated back up the beach with the flood and it went a bit quiet again. About 11 Chris said he had to head off soon as he had a family visit the next day.
I was happy to carry on until high tide at 1am.

So we bid farewell and I persisted but it had gone quiet and despite the warm day, was starting to get a little chilly.

I amused myself with a few pics under red light…

IMG_7975.jpeg

Go big or go home…

IMG_7974.jpeg

I was stood there, I guess zoning out a bit, when it dawned on me my ratchet was going nuts - sure enough, something was having a good go!

Minced towards the distant surf, gathering line and trying to stay tight to the fish.
Once in the water, it was really pulling back and I was sure I had a bass this time.
Not a monster but it had all the hallmarks of a 5-6lb fish.

Nope. Another bloody ray. At least it wasn’t a feckin eel.
Certainly gave a decent scrap. I didn’t weigh it and perhaps should have done as I think I might have been surprised, but I’d say it was definitely over 7lb.

IMG_7977.jpeg

Really should weigh these fish just out of curiosity, even if it isn’t a club comp, which it wasn’t.

Anyway, she went back and that was the last action of the night.
By 1.10am the tide was ebbing and I knew that was it, but couldn’t really be arsed to move.
Still, I wouldn’t get home by standing on a beach, so eventually I did move.

Next weekend I’ve got a wedding reception so MAY go out on the Friday night, as it’s a comp, but not sure yet - we’ll see!

Great report & photos Tony as always. Nice bag of Rays between the two of you, shame there were no Bass. 🎣🎣👍👍

What a cracking night! Nicely done 👍🏻 👍🏻👍🏻

Great report Mr Fish, and some cracking rays as well, lovely pics too mate.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back