• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Diawa BG 11'6" 50 - 110gm 3 Piece Rod

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Has anyone any views on the above rod, it is currently on fleabay reduced to £59.99 from over £100. seems like a good price to me.

No FT no comments then, either good, bad or indifferent. :cool:

Since Diawa took the Mandarin trail all their rods are made to the lowest possible specification for any given price range. No corners left uncut if you see what I mean. That's just my opinion based on rods I've had to repair. I know nothing about the actual rod in question.

Since Diawa took the Mandarin trail all their rods are made to the lowest possible specification for any given price range. No corners left uncut if you see what I mean. That's just my opinion based on rods I've had to repair. I know nothing about the actual rod in question.
A bit like their reels then?

No idea I'm afraid. Thought they were supposed to be okay ?

BG Rod arrived this morning, they have certainly beefed the blank up and will be good for estuary/tidal rivers with a fs reel for mullet etc. Will use my Abu 174sw with it.

I don't think Daiwa are are any worse than other big brands that have largely pushed up prices and lowered quality on many ranges. Shimano have certainly done the same - at one time you could expect a £50 spinning reel to last a few seasons if reasonably maintained, now its more like £150. Sure the reels look great straight out of the box but longevity has been sacrificed for looks imo.

When you say "beefed up the blank" Beach, what are you comparing it to? A 3pce of that rating could be a handy tool for me - easy to leave in the car or carry on my bike. I'm genuinely interested in hearing your feedback (y)

I don't think Daiwa are are any worse than other big brands that have largely pushed up prices and lowered quality on many ranges. Shimano have certainly done the same - at one time you could expect a £50 spinning reel to last a few seasons if reasonably maintained, now its more like £150. Sure the reels look great straight out of the box but longevity has been sacrificed for looks imo.

When you say "beefed up the blank" Beach, what are you comparing it to? A 3pce of that rating could be a handy tool for me - easy to leave in the car or carry on my bike. I'm genuinely interested in hearing your feedback (y)
The blank will cast 50 to 110gm, my previous rod only cast 40 to 80gm, the rings are stand off so suited to fs reels that is why I matched it to my Abu 174sw (salt resistant). Feels about a good match for me. I can easy carry on my motorbike or stick it in the car boot.

Mine was made in the UK according to the labels which were attached.

At least Daiwa actually have manufacturing in the UK unlike ABU, Akios, AFAW etc etc etc I've been to the Wishaw factory and can tell you those folk take real pride in their work!

I've just got a 3 piece 13ft Daiwa D Wave beach rod from Veals, it looks and feels lovely, it's not going to be used for any extreme casting, just like the convenience of a three piece for transportation.

Back