• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Does it harm the fish?

chewitt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Just a question that maybe holds a variety of answers or opinions but I'm genuinely interested in finding out what is best when returning Fish. I see many great catches on here where fish that are caught are photographed on Dry Decks, Rocks, Pebbles or Sand before being returned.

I was told many years ago by a well renowned Dartmouth charter skipper, in the days when Mackerel were plenty full. If you are going to return the Fish never handle it as it will probably die.

I would be the first to admit when it's a decent fish my first instinct is just to land it, though I do try to keep the handling to a minimum or keep the fish wet. I'm not having a go at anyone I'm just trying to understand what's the best practice for returning fish?

They say don't handle mackerel, yet in all my years i have never seen any mackerel floating round belly up after being released.

Just a question that maybe holds a variety of answers or opinions but I'm genuinely interested in finding out what is best when returning Fish. I see many great catches on here where fish that are caught are photographed on Dry Decks, Rocks, Pebbles or Sand before being returned.

I was told many years ago by a well renowned Dartmouth charter skipper, in the days when Mackerel were plenty full. If you are going to return the Fish never handle it as it will probably die.

I would be the first to admit when it's a decent fish my first instinct is just to land it, though I do try to keep the handling to a minimum or keep the fish wet. I'm not having a go at anyone I'm just trying to understand what's the best practice for returning fish?
Most mackerel die because mouth is damaged there is whats termed a frill which gets torn so they can't feed

I’ll only target Mackerel if I need bait or food but I’ll never put them back cause there probably die so won’t catch em if I don’t need em and any by catch won’t go to waste as for fish try to get a pic and back in the drink ASAP if I’m not eating them

I’ll only target Mackerel if I need bait or food but I’ll never put them back cause there probably die so won’t catch em if I don’t need em and any by catch won’t go to waste as for fish try to get a pic and back in the drink ASAP if I’m not eating them
Yep if you don't want them go for different species or change methods, recently released dozens of undersized bass,on light gear good sport but how many survive after being released??? Am careful and get them back gently but who knows???

Well a mackerel seems to swim of all ok (not saying "some" don't die but i have never seen a dead one), better than a trout you have landed and have to try and get air/water flow through gills before they swim off.

Well a mackerel seems to swim of all ok (not saying "some" don't die but i have never seen a dead one), better than a trout you have landed and have to try and get air/water flow through gills before they swim off.
I wouldn’t think dead mackerel would have a very long shelf life, considering!

I must admit I’ve become a bit more conscious of fish handling in the past couple of years, brought about mainly by fishing alone and needing to figure ways to get a decent selfie in the shortest possible time.

So getting into the habit of using a weighing sling and have recently bought a Rapala weighing mat/sling, which seems a decent bit of kit although haven’t used it in anger yet!

I must admit I’ve become a bit more conscious of fish handling in the past couple of years, brought about mainly by fishing alone and needing to figure ways to get a decent selfie in the shortest possible time.

So getting into the habit of using a weighing sling and have recently bought a Rapala weighing mat/sling, which seems a decent bit of kit although haven’t used it in anger yet!

(y) Sounds like good practice to me and a good way of preserving our fish.

If possible I’ll handle all fish using a wet hands / towel, and smaller fish try reviving fully in a bucket of fresh water - this helps prevent seagulls snatching them as they recover.

Makes me cringe a bit seeing pictures of fish (that haven’t been dispatched for the table) on sharp barnacle covered rocks or Sandy beaches. Doubt that does them any good.

We should all do as much as possible to minimise damage to fish to be returned but every time we throw a bait or lure into the sea we risk killing or maiming fish. To think otherwise would be delusional. The only way to guarantee fish welfare is to leave them alone.

We should all do as much as possible to minimise damage to fish to be returned but every time we throw a bait or lure into the sea we risk killing or maiming fish. To think otherwise would be delusional. The only way to guarantee fish welfare is to leave them alone.
Yes, as anglers we have to accept that to an extent what we’re doing will be harmful. As you say, we just have to do as much as we can to mitigate it.

Back