• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Anglia Dunwich 27/4

Craig

Reaction score
With Mondays disappointing result, two of us had decided to try further up the coast at dunwich.
Today we were joined by my dad (and Monty, my Springer) and we'd come with a selection of baits to see if there was much else about, mainly a ray or early smoothie.

Now I'll be the first to admit that I've not had alot of luck here over the last few years, only fishing it a few times last year and the same the year before with more blanks than fish.
Today we were fishing the ebb and over low, which I don't normally do here, always been told it fishes better on the flood and this has always been the case for me.
We arrived around 3pm to find my mate was already there and had had a few small whiting, a few dabs and a little bass around 35cm.
This certainly boosted our enthusiasm so we got set up and sent a variety of baits out at varying distances.
DSC_5971.JPG
DSC_5972.JPG
DSC_5978.JPG
Dad had the first bite, a proper one too, the tip got pulled down a good foot or so and bounced back to leave abit of slack line, this sadly resulted in two clean hooks and no fish, quite surprising after the bite he had. I sat watching my rods when the same thing happened to me, but I managed to connect with the culprit, and as I'm using bluey as bait, I figured it was a little whiting bit the bite seems abit vigorous for one of the current stamp of them. Well, this is a first for me, in more ways than one. My first smoothie of the year, o.k, it is only a pup but still the first of the year so far, and caught on bluey of all things, never had them on anything other than squid or crab! Though last year I did have one around 5lb in Wales on a whole sandeel which surprised me at the time, usually have smoothies down as only wanting squid or crab baits.
DSC_5975.JPGDSC_5976.JPG
This really was a nice start to the afternoon, especially with the nice weather and calm conditions too.
Next few casts resulted in a couple of tiny whiting and another couple abit later, this was followed by a quiet spell for an hour then the last cast resulted in one of my smallest dabs ever, probably only weighing 1/2 Oz if that.
My mate didn't have another fish after we arrived and headed off around 6pm.
Dad managed a few little whiting after a slow start but persevered with the hope of that original missed fish coming back, unfortunately he ended his day with just the few scrawny whiting.
We packed up around 7.30pm and after admiring a kestrel hunting along the clifftops, headed back to the van for the drive home.
Not the greatest two days but still worth getting out for.
Fingers crossed I should be fishing again in a couple of weeks if work doesn't get in the way too much..

Another brilliant report ?

Great report chap, sounds like it was hard work

Nice report and pics ,nice springer aswell got a couple myself,well done.

Back