• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Early season ain’t so bad

Smashing stuff. When you have to walk/move so much, does that indicate it is shallow or that you have a big tidal range there. What sort of depth do you reckon you are fishing in?
Both! It’s pretty flat and yes we have a huge tidal range.
I wade out about thigh height and then cast, but I’d imagine the depth from that isn’t much more than four to five feet at most.
I’ve done miscasts before but decided to leave it as the tide is coming in, then caught a ray a few minutes later.

If I’m targeting bass I still wade out (always in the dark, no lights whatever I’m targeting) but do a shorter cast if the tide is flooding.
That’s more so I can aim at the bit of surf I want to chuck into rather than worrying about cutting the distance.

When it’s ebbing you need to overcompensate the cast as it drops so quick - on the odd occasion I’ve left it too long and walked down to find my rig laying on the sand lol.
Really you don’t want to fish any more than two hours before low and tbh even that’s bad enough for the first hour or so.
Much prefer when the flood starts!

Back