• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Dorset Rock marks

Around 100 items listed under "Hugh Stoker" on eBay, although some of them are for Bram Stoker (Dracula). I wouldn't mind getting a copy of the South Devon one, but not at £9 for a 2nd hand paperback.

One of my favourites in the area is Chapmans Pool. There’s a car park for St. Aldhems/Albans Head at the western end of Langton Matravers and a choice of easy or precipitous routes down. It’s very close to Swanage and the tide times are the same.
The bay itself produces Bass, particularly where the freshwater runs into it. But there’s a lot of rock marks from the headland itself, through Chapmans Pool and a little further west before the sea meets the cliffs that produce Bass, pollack, wrasse etc.
It’s worth a walk anyway, I nearly always see Peregrine Falcons and picked up a couple of glow worms one summer night walking back to the car park after a session. My kids’ minds blown.
An investigation at low tide will pay dividends and show the deeper water.
Might I also suggest investing in Sea fishing in Dorset, by Ken Stoker. If you can find a copy. Loads of marks that are still relevant 50 years after he wrote it.
Tight lines.
You are right, this is a good area to explore. By the way the book you mention is by Hugh Stoker and I have almost the entire collection of his guides around the south coast. As you say they are 50 odd years old now but still full of good information.

Grew up watching Hugh Stoker fish, catching some huge mullet and bass. I'd spend every summer at seatown, I think he lived there? Caught my first bass and sole after watching him like a hawk!

Around 100 items listed under "Hugh Stoker" on eBay, although some of them are for Bram Stoker (Dracula). I wouldn't mind getting a copy of the South Devon one, but not at £9 for a 2nd hand paperback.

I have just bought a 1965 Hampshire one for £5.50 📗

Back