• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Fish a Chuck

Tatunka joe

Reaction score
So yestaday we fished our first club comp of the year it was a 12 hr rover go anywhere you want I was desperate to fish localish to me but 45 mph
South-westerly winds put paid to that so arfter going thru about 20 other marks we decide on slapton more of a banker mark than anything else we’ll from the first cast at around 1.30 till the last Chuck at 10.30 every cast produced fish but 98percent of them were 9 oz tings tried everything to get away from them but they were relentless at range in close big baits with sz 6 hooks they took everything only a welcome dog stoped the monotony of it I’ve never gone tru so much bait in my life the best 2 were a brace one of 1 lb 3 one of 1 lb on a loop rig decent points my mate did have a nice hound of 5. Lb + but apart from a small Huss and strap it was small whiteing a Chuck I’m done with slapton don’t even think I’ll fish the open there next week if I ever see another ting I’m takeing up golf regards a absolutey knackered tank 😢🤷😢😢😢🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

It is extremely frustrating when the ting are there in numbers. Dungeness use to be great in the summer for sole and bass until you started catching pin tings in broad daylight in July! I put it down to a reduction of cod and other predators to keep numbers down.

Last edited:
It is extremely frustrating when the tin are there in numbers. Dungeness use to be great in the summer for sole and bass until you started catching pin tings in broad daylight in July! I put it down to a reduction of cod and other predators to keep numbers down.
Your probably right mate orso none of the fish we caught yesterday had any damage on them nothing was hitting them no rays conger spurs or bass they just had a free for all orso I think out of the 30 anglers I. The comp 15 fished down slapton I recon I landed 80 fish all the others there had the same and I’m under cutting it there probably more tbh so that’s roughly 1200 fish caught and out of all that only one person had a specimen of 1 lb 10 oz and that was off babbacome that’s plague proportions there no wonder we chouldnt find anything else saying that if anyones trying to get there kids or newbies into fishing get down there they will love it 😂

Good write up Tats - shame about the Tings. 12/10 for effort Bey! 🎣🎣👍👍

Well done on getting some points on the board Tat, shame the doggies couldn't beat the tings to the bait.
Take it you didnt hit Brixton for the mackies then, probably a good idea.

When its like that head further south to beesands and fish left. Live prawn and you should have a few rays.
The two old beys who headed there smashed it we fished slapton same conditions last week still lots of ting but better sizes lots of big dogs few pout hounds and guys lost two spurs aswell that’s why I opted for there but that was biblical yestaday 😮

Wow those tings kept you busy, Made me tired just reading it mate. At lease it kept you warm and you got some casting and turbo baiting up training in!

I was thinking of trying first thing tomorrow but now not quite as keen. If I go I think whole whiting/fillets on at least one rod to stop the smaller ones.

When you catch a series of double shot whiting. Is it like a phone ringing?

Back