• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fishing with my young lad

SAFC_Grahame

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
On Sunday I'm going to take my 8 year old son fishing with me. He obviously isn't strong enough to cast so I'll be doing that. The plan is I'll cast we'll wait together then I'll strike and hook the fish then he'll bring it in. My question is how can I keep him occupied while we wait for bites etc. does anyone know of any games or ideas to do with angling to pass the time other than I-spy, I really want it to be a positive experience for him and the last time we went I was completely new to sea fishing other than going with my dad when I was a kid and we scraped one whiting after 5 hours.

I took my youngest when he was about 3/4 yrs old it was a nice day ,as i collected my bait from tackle shop i spotted one of those little nets on a cane so purchased it .
We got on to the beach and i started setting up,ihad a quick wander along the shoreline and spotted a jellyfish washed up, I went back to my lad and told him to have a walk along the edge and told him to look for crabs /starfish ect it wasnt long before he squealed DAD look what ive got he was so chuffed and i was so proud bless him and the look on his face awesome..

Try lure fishing with him first, you cast for him and let him wind it in (not over rough ground though) he will soon be busy.
Then learn him to cast.
I did it with grandson around that age, he soon get the hang of it.
Then do bait sessions after he has got into it.

What an excellent idea, thanks a lot, off to Amazon I go.
Thanks for starting this thread Grahame, it's brought back some great memories. I phoned my youngest to see if he still has the book, not likely but worth a try.
I always tried to find something edible on every trip even if just a few prawns or brown shrimps, on the south coast we used to try and catch a few spider crabs, pick samphire, all cooked on the beach. Mackerel cooked straight from the sea were always a firm favourite.
Have fun!

Thanks for starting this thread Grahame, it's brought back some great memories. I phoned my youngest to see if he still has the book, not likely but worth a try.
I always tried to find something edible on every trip even if just a few prawns or brown shrimps, on the south coast we used to try and catch a few spider crabs, pick samphire, all cooked on the beach. Mackerel cooked straight from the sea were always a firm favourite.
Have fun!
I didn’t eat anything from the Birmingham canal network 😂

Back