• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Float Fishing

BF60

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi.can anyone recommend a rod I could dedicate for float Fishing with floats up to 60g.
All replies greatly appreciated.

Loads of float rods out there.. depends on venue and budget.

For a cheap one try an Abu Devil spin, 10ft and casts up to 80gms. I use one for mullet fishing with a 2000 size fs reel and 8lb mono.

Like above depends on loads of variations.
I could well fish with float using a boat rod from many different locations.
Just use what you think best.

I use a carp rod,think it's about 12 foot in length, also use it for spinning when using big'ish lures
Like the op everyone is different and adapts to all sorts to suit themselves.
I would not use my carp rod for spinning but like you others do.

I used to use a 12ft carp rod 2 1/2 tc but in the last few years have moved to a 10ft devil spin with braid and its been great. I find the action on the spinning rod is better suited to float fishing. Never had an issue with it being too short.

I used to use a 12ft carp rod 2 1/2 tc but in the last few years have moved to a 10ft devil spin with braid and its been great. I find the action on the spinning rod is better suited to float fishing. Never had an issue with it being too short.
Nor me Kai, the Devil Spin rods last for years as long as you rinse them off if fishing in salt water, same with all sea fishing rods/reels.(y) I even ledger with mine most times in tidal rivers/estuaries with hooks (2) above the small weight (1/4 to 1oz) depending on flow/current. Sometimes no weight and floating bread crust, then soak and mash up a couple of bread loaves for ground bait.

Last edited:
I agree very versatile and great value. I have an Abu Cardinal FD 54 with mine. On my second as the first lasted about Two years.

I only use my carp rod ,coz I know it can handle a heavy'ish float I use a 3 or 4oz loaded casting float & also it can handle a lure which is heavier than what my spinning rods can.l

Carp rod, spinning rod, flattie rod, you can use pretty much anything for float fishing as long as it’ll take the weight.
But I don’t usually use floats much above an ounce or 1.5oz of casting weight anyway, that’s fine for most sea scenarios.
Lighter floats are nicer but (a) harder to cast any distance, especially into wind and (b) hard to see at any distance if there’s a bit of wave.

My current float rod is a Shakespeare Tidewater Flattie rod, 11ft I think,
I retired it as a flattie rod as just a bit too soft and it didn’t cope well with any sort of flow, especially with weed around.
Works just fine as a float rod although in an ideal world it could be a bit stiffer for striking.
Tbh I’ve always just kind of used whatever happened to be surplus to other requirements, it doesn’t need anything special.

As an aside, just my personal view but I never enjoyed using braid for float fishing, I prefer the stretch of mono as it doesn’t jerk things around so much.
But I guess it’s just what you’re used to.

I agree it doesn't need to be anything specific or special but float fishing is my method of choice 9 out of 10 trips all year round.

I fish a float up to about 30ft and have approx 15 meters of 15lb mono tied to the braid which gives a bit of stretch. The braid floats, you can keep the line tighter and get a much better strike.

I only use my carp rod ,coz I know it can handle a heavy'ish float I use a 3 or 4oz loaded casting float & also it can handle a lure which is heavier than what my spinning rods can.l
Why on earth do you need a 3 or 4oz weight, I only use them with a sliding weight for bottom fishing. You must have some serious tide run/currents. If I fish the Arun with a max 6 knot current I still only use light gear.

Back