• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Friday night out with the main man!

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As many will know, not often I get out for a dangle due to health issues, but an invite from @John Mitchell to a local mark last night was not to be refused. I couldn't decide whether to take a beach casting setup or just a spinning rod, so ended up taking both. I really should have gone & bought some Ragworm, but decided to make do with the frozen Mackerel & Prawns lurking in the freezer. John said he was planning to be there around 6pm, so I arrived at 5.30pm to start sorting out rods, tripod etc. It was an ebbing tide, with low at 9.10pm. Did think about getting there earlier but access might have been difficult!

I like to keep all of my rods, reels & tripod in their respective bags, so it takes me a while to get everything out & up, and before I had done so, John arrived and already had a bait in the water by the time I was ready to fish! I put out some Mackerel strip on a clipped 2 hook up & over rig, and thought I'd have a go with the Lure rod. I'd bought a floating SG lure some time ago and not tried it, so that was first on the short Fluoro leader, the thinking being that as the mark was a bit snaggy, I wouldn't lose the lure. I don't think I had had more than 3 casts, and fish on! Only a little schoolie Bass, but I'm not sure I'd ever caught a Bass, (might have had one years ago at Torcross) and the first time I'd used a floating lure, so a bit of a (small) PB!

From John cropped.jpg

John was into a schoolie not long after, and then another, followed by quite a few Pout for both of us - I only had two on the bait rod, and I lost count of John's tally!

IMG_20211015_200705.jpg

I really must get my Whiskers trimmed! It got a bit dark to be throwing lures out as there were quite a few obstructions around us, so that one went away.
It was a good session - I'd gone out in a T-shirt and body warmer, and it wasn't long before the body warmer came off as I was getting a bit warm! I wasn't having a lot of luck with the Mackerel or Prawn baits, so John kindly donated a few of his Ragworms! It went a bit quiet for both of us after low tide but we decided to fish on until at least 10pm and catch a bit of the rising tide. John had a small Conger - I think he messaged Bob and said it was '12'! I'll let John divulge what the '12' was! Overall, I think we had about 15 fish between us - nothing to write home about in terms of size, but no blanks and a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Thanks John! ????

Great session guys. (y)

Ian.

Nice report, well done on the fishes and johns always bragging about something being 12inchs ??
Yes, but he doesn't use it as a Rule. :ROFLMAO:

Ian.

Your welcome Dave , glad you got a new Pb on a surface lure as well, it was only just bigger then the lure .it was a slow night but we caught a few .and the conger was a good 12” ?

Thanks for the comments guys! ??
Your welcome Dave , glad you got a new Pb on a surface lure as well, it was only just bigger then the lure .it was a slow night but we caught a few .and the conger was a good 12” ?
It was a bit slow, but it was very peaceful, warm, and was a good Craic! ??

Nice report and congratulations on the new species too Dave.
Thanks Will! I think I may have caught a Bass many years ago from the beach at Torcross, but I was green as grass then, mainly boat fishing, and wasn't sure what it was!

Nice one Dave, sounds good!

Make sure you get yourself out more often - John said he’d supply the worm!
Bless him! He did have plenty on Friday night - the tackle shop didn't have many Lug so he bought extra Rag to make up for it! Even after donating a handful to me, we didn't use them all.
I don't mind the expense of buying bait, but it's the hastle of booking it & going the opposite way from the coast to go fetch it, and then if I decide not to go out because I'm not feeling too great or it's piddling down, it gets wasted. Much prefer having something in the freezer - Mackerel, Prawns or similar that I can thaw out at the last minute. Keep thinking about having a try with some Mussels.

Bless him! He did have plenty on Friday night - the tackle shop didn't have many Lug so he bought extra Rag to make up for it! Even after donating a handful to me, we didn't use them all.
I don't mind the expense of buying bait, but it's the hastle of booking it & going the opposite way from the coast to go fetch it, and then if I decide not to go out because I'm not feeling too great or it's piddling down, it gets wasted. Much prefer having something in the freezer - Mackerel, Prawns or similar that I can thaw out at the last minute. Keep thinking about having a try with some Mussels.
I know what you mean about worm, sourcing it and getting it is a pain here too.

On the other hand there are marks where you need worm and could fish all day with frozen baits and not get a touch.

For example, if I wanted to fish up channel for sole, I wouldn’t even leave the house unless I had fresh worm.

Back