• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Frozen black in paper

dodders

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Bought a couple of wraps of frozen black from a tackle shop yesterday and as is often the case they are in the freezer wrapped in newspaper.
When I picked one out a few hours later it snapped when I went to push the baiting needle through it. It was thawed but had completely dehydrated and had the consistence of a twiglet
Had to soak them in seawater for 30 mins before they could be put on the hook, and any attraction they may possibly have had left had probably washed out in the seawater in my bucket. (I did actually catch a couple of fish on them)
When I've bought frozen blacks from one of the online shops that have always been wrapped in clingfilm and then the whole lot encased in a plastic bag which has kept them 'fresh'
I have had decent frozen black just frozen in newspaper before but I'll be more thorough checking for very old stock in the future, especially at over a fiver for 10 worms

Where did you get them from mick , southwest sea baits have always been good , and plymouth angling as well

I'll message you John, as I've bought lots of bait from them before and it may be a one-off
But I think blacks are best frozen in clingfilm to prevent dehydrating. 6 months just in newspaper and they've lost most of their moisture

Good money on bad bait is always a bitter pill? I'd speak to your supplier and tell them its not good enough and see what they say? Personally I blanch then freeze black lug. Its been a game changer for my own fishing and a total winner in my book ?

I'll message you John, as I've bought lots of bait from them before and it may be a one-off
But I think blacks are best frozen in clingfilm to prevent dehydrating. 6 months just in newspaper and they've lost most of their moisture
Ok mick , i will look out for the message

Back