• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Frozen lugworm - How long is it good for?

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening all

Hope you are in good form and catching plenty.
Not been on here for a while, been mainly coarse fishing but the youngster and I are itching to get to the coast, so we are planning a Hornsea trip on Saturday.

My question is this.
How long does frozen lugworm last in the freezer?
I have just found a load in the freezer, in an ice cream tub.
(Luckily the missus didn't find it first!)
Stuck it in there when we moved house 6 months ago, making it 8mths old.
Will it still be effective, or should I just buy some fresh (frozen) on Saturday?

Cheers
Johnny

Part of the problem is you don't know how old it was before you bought it from the shop.
I'd take some of it along but also buy a couple of packs of fresh. See how it is and mix it up with the newer stuff. If it seems okay you can use the rest on the next session if it turned to mush at least you'll still have a couple of packs of decent stuff and you'll still get to enjoy your session 😉

Evening all

Hope you are in good form and catching plenty.
Not been on here for a while, been mainly coarse fishing but the youngster and I are itching to get to the coast, so we are planning a Hornsea trip on Saturday.

My question is this.
How long does frozen lugworm last in the freezer?
I have just found a load in the freezer, in an ice cream tub.
(Luckily the missus didn't find it first!)
Stuck it in there when we moved house 6 months ago, making it 8mths old.
Will it still be effective, or should I just buy some fresh (frozen) on Saturday?

Cheers
Johnny
Dabs should love it

In theory eight months shouldn’t be too bad but as said, depends how good it was to start with.
I’ve caught plenty of codling up the BC on black lug that’s been in the freezer a year or more. Usually as a squid cocktail.
But sometimes it does dry out a lot.

The south coast lads seem to want fresh blacks but certainly upper BC they haven’t been too fussed.

as i pump my stuff is good 12-18 month i prep it blanching before freezing / shop may be ok as well get a worm from pack tip very hot water over it an see if the worm plumps up , worth mixing them in with new one to fill the hook

No word of a lie, I found some gutted yellow tails in the freezer that must of been 3 year old. Dried up and as tough as nails. Took them to the beach along with a Mackerel and a herring that where in the same bag an they caught between them, Doggies, Coalys, Whiting and Pout.

If your just going fishing for whatever going on my results? They will be fine👍

Mark ..😁

No word of a lie, I found some gutted yellow tails in the freezer that must of been 3 year old. Dried up and as tough as nails. Took them to the beach along with a Mackerel and a herring that where in the same bag an they caught between them, Doggies, Coalys, Whiting and Pout.

If your just going fishing for whatever going on my results? They will be fine👍

Mark ..😁
All the cod swam straight past 🤣

All the cod swam straight past 🤣
Cod are a rare beast in these waters from the shore lol December through to March is the period for them over here😅 I have to fish the East coast in December, then move up the North coast in March for the spring run🤪 But East winds an sea temp have to be right or like ye say lol they swim clean by the whole shoreline of Northern Ireland hehe.

Mark...😜

Last edited:
I have used frozen black lug that is 4 or 5 years old no problem, this is based on it being wrapped in a cellothane type wrapper and either sealed at both ends or in those vac pac type bags, my experience in using lug that has been wrapped in paper is not a good one as it dries out far too easily and I will not buy frozen lug wrapped in paper now

Back