• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North West Fylde Coast Codling

Merlin 335

Reaction score
After the strong Southwesterlys we have had over the last couple of days, I saw that the wind was dropping down and that meant an opportunity for some codling, but I would have to endure another silly o'clock session for low water at 4.15am. I arrived at Rossall promanade car park for 1.40am and managed to get my rods in the water for about 2.15am. I had made 8 cart/squid wraps at home earlier that morning and placed them in a flask in the freezer ready for the session, as I was going to fish one rod with the cart/squid wraps and the other with frozen black & squid.

I didn't have a bite in the first 30 minutes, so reeled in and changed the baits on both rods, shortly afterwards had a great bite on the cart/squid bait and in came a 50cm codling. Nothing happened then for the next hour and half, but on low water another codling fell to the cart/squid wraps. This one was a lot smaller, so I didn't bother measuring it (probably about 30cm).

I was only going to fish the flooding tide for an hour, as my 15 year old son has got himself a Christmas job this week working at the "Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe" and I promised to take him to work whilst I was off this week so he didn't have to catch two buses to get there for 8am (he still hasn't brought me a pastie/pie home yet!!).

About 40 minutes after low I had a great pull down on the cart/squid rod and brought in a 51cm codling. I decided to call it quits then and started packing up.

I returned all the codling, as I had kept 3 from my last session, but for a quick 3 hour session I was made up with the 3 codling.

I was very surprised not to have caught any whiting on the frozen blacks, but grateful not to be bothered by them. In two sessions in 5 days, I have had 10 codling all to cart/squid wraps and 1 whiting to frozen blacks. Nice way to finish fishing before Christmas.

Well done Merlin. That is either real dedication or madness to go at those hours on your own. Lovely video, really informative and your setups look impressive.
However I don’t know what a cart/squid wrap is? It looks tasty like a giant prawn. 👍🏼😁😎

Nice report & well done Merlin! 🎣🎣👍👍 Will have a look at the video when I have time.

I found you a Medal !!

sbKtKXZ.jpg

Well done Merlin. That is either real dedication or madness to go at those hours on your own. Lovely video, really informative and your setups look impressive.
However I don’t know what a cart/squid wrap is? It looks tasty like a giant prawn. 👍🏼😁😎
Sometimes you just have to go when a chance arises! Cart is crab cart - the inside of edible crabs

Back