• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Wales goldcliffe

geejayy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
six,

5.8.22 goldcliffe, fished with ian.

early afternoon tide with high tide about 1pm. small tide around 10.5m.

georgeous warm/dry day with fluffy white clouds sometimes blocking the sun. wind felt light northerly
arrived to find the tide flooding across the mud n rocks , after a reasonable wander along the top of the sea wall we set up at a likely spot.

20220805_104047[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

baits were rag & squid for me. sole were the target.
rigs were a 3 hook flapper and two hooks clipped. a pennel pully was later employed out of desperation.

wth baits deployed and the windmills turning slowly behind us we watched across the bristol channel back towards england while swallows hawked insects along the top of the seawall.

20220805_105640[1] by gordon underwood, on Flickr

water the colour of oxtail soup crept across the mud, over the rocks and on up the base of the wall, though i was not optimistic, the rods did register a couple of knocks that came to nothing. signs of life were welcome as there seemed to be no crab activity.

jut before highwater i managed to hook & land a blank saveing strappy. hooked but lost another unseen fish as the ebb started. soon after the tide run away and it was time to head home and find a beer.

At least you caught mate,I agree with John it looks a easy ,great place to fish

Nice report and pictures, well done beating the blank (y)

Not that easy to fish , best on 13 meter + tides , fishing high up over huge boulders. Nightmare if you snag up but can throw up all sorts, conger, bass , sole, flounder, rays usually thornies and a great cod mark in the winter.

Not that easy to fish , best on 13 meter + tides , fishing high up over huge boulders. Nightmare if you snag up but can throw up all sorts, conger, bass , sole, flounder, rays usually thornies and a great cod mark in the winter.
I used to fish it a lot in the 80's but mostly over low. Used to be a very good codling mark but the summers there were just way too many little eels

Back