• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Wales Gower surf beach

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
hi Gents
The plan was for the three of us to fish the opposite end of the beach and set out around 8.30 pm arriving on the beach to set up in the light and start fishing the start of the flood. Not for the first time that week we looked at the weather and it was all change with heavy showers due to start at around midnight, so we decided to try and avoid the worst by set out at 7.0 and was fishing before 8.30 pm. It was a damp evening with a good, what I would call a messy surf around two to three foot. The wind was right in the mush also not forecast but at around 12/15 mph not to much of an issue.

The three of us set to work with similar end rigs in the form of two hook flappers with me opting for 2/0 whilst the other two went with slightly smaller hooks. Bait was some really big local lugs and frozen razor gathered off the beach after the last storms. We cast out and within five minutes the rigs were drifting alarmingly to the right, I reeled or actually walked backwards then reeled in, as there was a hell of weight on the end. You probably already guessed but the leader rig swivel, hook snoods and weight was stuffed to the gills with lettuce like weed. I noticed the other rod was now doing the same so I brought that in managing to snap the leader knot as I tried to drag it through the last part of the shallows. After a similar experience and a lost rig for two of us We decided to fish one rod dropping the cast shorter holding the rod vertically as high as possible leaving the other rod in the stand. This made fishing possible but the weed was still a pain and I really didn't feel I was in with a chance of a fish. Miraculously Barry managed to hook and bring in a fish in among the weed fest which turned out to be the best fish of the night at 4 lb 4 oz.

The weed eased off enough to start fishing off the stands when the tide was about an hour into the flood, it was an ever presence but no where near as bad as when we started, we started having a few heavy squally showers and a sea mist continuously rolled in off the sea all through the session, messing up my glasses even effecting the brightness of our headlamps lol.

It was 3 hrs before I hit a bass around pound and a quarter, I was I must admit by this time contemplating the dreaded blank. Barry had a few more but mostly small schoolies he even managed to winkle out a sole about a pound from somewhere. Fulf after a long wait managed not one but a double shot of small schoolies. I had another the same as before and Barry carried on picking up the odd schoolie. Just before high water the lines started drifting to the right this time signalling another weed fest that quite honestly sapped out last bit of energy for the session we possessed, and the decision to have an early finish wasn't difficult. The final tally was Barry 9 bass and a sole, Fulf 4 bass, and me 2 bass, It hadn't been the easiest of nights but Barry was well chuffed as I would have been with a four pound plus bass. You can only catch what's in front of you and there wasn't the quality of bass that we have experienced over the last months.
Onwards and upwards gentlemen

Back