• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Grey's gr50 9ft rod

I have a sneaky suspicion Santa may be dropping me off one of these rods for chrimbo . Was wondering if anyone has one and if so was it any good? It's 20-60 GM rated so I fear it might be a bit stiff for most lures !
It will be fine, just use bigger/heavier lures. You can still cast lighter ones only not as well

It will be fine, just use bigger/heavier lures. You can still cast lighter ones only not as well
And the heavier lures will be better for casting into the strong winds that seem to arrive when he is down here! Lol

Yes..I was watching telly last night and there was a helicopter rescue of an angler who ended up in the drink by trescore Islands, it was rough as a vagrants underpants and just the normal conditions I usually face when fishing there, so a rod that can handle some heavier lures or metals should be handy and less chance of me snapping it.

I have a sneaky suspicion Santa may be dropping me off one of these rods for chrimbo . Was wondering if anyone has one and if so was it any good? It's 20-60 GM rated so I fear it might be a bit stiff for most lures !

I for one wouldn't worry about anything Blue. I've got a Majorcraft Crostage in 20 - 60g and if I could only take one rod with me on my trips that's the one that can cope with all conditions and throw just about every type of lure I've got. You can get so much further with a big metal in strong wind and cover so much more ground, surely that must increase your chance of a fish? Doesn't matter what you catch it on buddy - who cares what the purists may think? :unsure:

I use a 9’ 20 - 60 lure rod all the time minstrel and it’s absolutely fine for everything I do, whether light or heavier lures.....better I find for getting the fish through the kelp.
Actually I have three different ones, all the same rating and each feels totally different and hard to believe they are supposed to be the same.

If you need a backup rod then give me a shout MB. Nothing poncy and it will be a spinning rod rather than a lure rod ;)

Thanks chaps. Santa did indeed drop me off the said fishing stick. It's a thing of beauty, best rod I've owned this far. It's incredibly light with really nice quality fixtures. Look forward to giving it a go sometime next year. The little fat fella also dropped of an Ima komono2 lure...
I'm so excited I've got a decent lure too but terrified of snagging it up.. Might have to put singles on it..

Thanks chaps. Santa did indeed drop me off the said fishing stick. It's a thing of beauty, best rod I've owned this far. It's incredibly light with really nice quality fixtures. Look forward to giving it a go sometime next year. The little fat fella also dropped of an Ima komono2 lure...
I'm so excited I've got a decent lure too but terrified of snagging it up.. Might have to put singles on it..
I swapped all my treble hooks for singles minstrel. Just makes unhooking so much easier and pleasant and of course a lot smaller chance of snagging as well as much less damage to the fish. Since going over to single hooks I havnt noticed that I am losing any more fish than with trebles either.

My problem is being a once a year holiday dangler and unfamiliar with locations, is I don't get to understand local marks and best times and tides when fish are on the move, so it's always a bit of a lottery. That's my main excuse. I got lots of other little ones up my jumper

Last edited:
I use a travel 4 section up 70gm Savage Gear rod for lures/spinning whilst waiting for a bite on my 2 TF Gear 11ft 2-5oz bait/bass rods. Where I fish it is clean ground so don't really need a heavier/longer one.

Back