• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Hamstead Point IOW

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
On a very flat sea yesterday afternoon I had a 20 minute ride up to Hamstead Point, around the corner from Hamstead Ledge with another friend on his own boat.
This was on the recommendation of a very knowledgeable angling friend who suggested the possibility of a few gilthead bream amongst the black bream.
Plagued by tiny bream from the off, most were too small to swallow a size 4 hook but we boated a few very pretty fish.
I was fishing in 14' of water and my friend 36'.
He was getting some better fish and some smoothound pups.
I moved and fished a bit further out from him in about 40'
Still plagued by tiny bream with the baits being stripped off the hooks very quickly, very frustrating.
Eventually we managed 4 keeper bream between us and loads of smut pups, I had a very pretty starry pup as well. Biggest pup was possibly a couple of pounds, the smallest probably half a pound.
We packed up to get back into Yarmouth Harbour before dark and I was interested in seeing how fast Navionics had tracked me so gave it some proper welly on a mirror smooth sea.
My phone went flat and turned itself off on the way back, unknown to me, so only recorded the first run at speed at 20.9mph.
The second and third would have been faster as the throttle went all the way round to the stop.
I have to wait for my friend to catch up, he only has 8hp compared to my 15hp but still manages a respectable 15/16 mph.

Not much in the way of fish but a fun afternoon culminating in a run back into the spectacular Solent sunset.

Nice report Ian! ????

Encouraging that so many black bream around. Loads of decent ones on the wrecks. Friend had a field day of 2lb plus off Ramsgate. They had 130 but only kept what was needed.
My boat out of the water at present to be copper coated so bit hacked off missing some of the calm weather.

Back