• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales He thinks it’s all over…………………… it isn’t yet!

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Having never caught a bass on a lure later than November 12th, I assumed my season was over for another year, but it seemed a shame not to take advantage of yesterday’s window in the weather. I was in 2 minds at the start of the week, but having had an early night on Monday, to get over the side effects of my most recent Covid booster 🤒, I was feeling fully refreshed yesterday morning 🤩 and so I thought what the hell!

Conditions on my arrival were pretty good, with fairly calm water save for a small swell, and decent water clarity, and though at 9.5˚c the water temp was down 3.4 ˚c since my last visit on October 20th 🥶, I hoped the bass might still be around.

Unfortunately, it looked like I was out of luck, and despite my best efforts, the next 4 and a half hours were completely dead, with no signs of life whatsoever 😢.

As midnight approached, I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I was going to end the season with a blank and going through the motions for the last 5 minutes, I was thinking ahead to getting back to the dirty bait fishing for the winter, but then I thought I felt a small tap on my line 🤔. Nooo it couldn’t have been a fish, it was probably just my lure bumping on a rock I told myself, but 4 or 5 casts later there was no mistake, as this time my lure was stopped dead in its tracks and the rod started bouncing around in my hand! 😲 I was well aware that this could well be my only chance of the night, so praying that I wouldn’t lose it, I carefully reeled the fish towards the shore and after a nervous couple of minutes, I successfully landed my latest ever lure caught bass 🥳.

At 47cm, it wasn’t particularly big, but that didn’t matter one bit, I was just chuffed to bits to catch something 😊.
Bass-140_2022.jpg

After a quick snap and a kiss 😅, it was carefully released to grow bigger, while I got straight back to the fishing.

I must admit, I thought my catch was a bit of a fluke and with no more takes in the next 20 minutes, that looked to be the case but incredibly, just as I was about to call it a night for the second time, my lure was hit again 😮. Once more I took my time, not wanting to bully the fish for fear of pulling the hook, but I needn’t have worried and another identical silver of 47cm was duly landed 👍.
Bass-141_2022.jpg

I obviously couldn’t leave now 😂, so I decided to give it another 10 casts 😉.

Surprisingly, over the next 45 minutes I landed another three bass of 41, 42 & 46cm
Bass-142_2022.jpg

Bass-143_2022.jpg

Bass-144_2022.jpg

and I also missed several more hits, but eventually the water got so shallow, that despite me switching to gradually lighter jig-heads, I just couldn’t fish the lure effectively without it snagging on the submerged rocks 👎.

I could probably have winkled out another couple of fish, by fishing ultra-shallow with a weightless Swimish, but with a decent drive home ahead of me, and work this morning, I thought better of it and reluctantly called it a night at 01:15 🥱.

So having caught bass 10 days later than I’ve managed before in 11 years of lure fishing, it looks like I was mistaken in thinking that my season was over. Sadly, the forecast for the rest of the week isn’t great, but if a weather window does present itself, then I might just be tempted to have another go 😉.

Thanks for the replies all (y).

This weather certainly won't be encouraging the bass to hang around, but there appears to be another settled spell on the way next week, so I might well give the lures another go :unsure:.

As for a December bass, I fear that might be a bridge too far, but he who dares and all that ;).

Thanks for the replies all (y).

This weather certainly won't be encouraging the bass to hang around, but there appears to be another settled spell on the way next week, so I might well give the lures another go :unsure:.

As for a December bass, I fear that might be a bridge too far, but he who dares and all that ;).

Remember that place on the Llyn the Ross j told me about

Back