• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Heartbreak at Brunswick

FishAmaniac

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all,
I've just returned from this weeks trip.
The original plan was to meet Tommy at Brunswick at 0730, fish the flood and a short while of the ebb before heading to Perch Rock. The first part of the plan went ahead as intended. We arrived to an empty prom and picked our spots.
Eventually a few other people arrived and the short section of the prom was full.
The early part of the session was devoid of any action. The going was very slow. Tommy did get a couple of small whiting, but nothing to write home about.
I was expecting the action to pick up as high tide approached as is usually the case with the ray fishing in this part of the river. And thankfully it did.
We went from nothing to everything going off in the blink of an eye. From around 11am the bites started.
I had 2 rays and two doggies a a dropped run which happened whilst I was helping Tommy land his ray. He also managed a couple of doggies too. A better session for Tommy this time 🕺
Once the tide turned bites dropped off again and the weed picked up. It started ripping too and keeping a bait in situ was becoming difficult.
The time had come to make the decision about the second part of the trip. Stay or pack up and head to the other side of the river... The conditions weren't great, we were quite comfortable on the prom with a shelter so we decided to stay.
The fishing was terrible for the rest of the session, few bites and lots of weed. Had we made the right decision? We'll never know...
So, what about the heartbreak? The session didn't sound too bad, we'd had a few fish, kept dry and warm...?
Well, I did get one more bite, a couple of hours before low. By this time the tide had eased and the weed had lessened too. By this point I was only using one rod. I baited up a squid otg launched it as far as I could. Tommy went to find a toilet and I sat and waited to see if there would be any change of fortune.
After about 10 minutes I'd got distracted by my phone :rolleyes: but noticed out of the corner of my eye my line blowing around in the wind. This must be a decent fish surely? As I ferociously wound up the slack I could feel the odd knock of the lead still being dragged along. I finally connected with the fish and was instantly met with some serious heavy thumps. It was heavy too. The fish fought all the way, even taking line at times. All I could think was this doesn't feel like a ray...
It kept its head down all the way. Any guesses what it was when I saw it? Go on, guess...! You're wrong...
It was the biggest bass I've ever seen in real life. I've caught them up to 6lb before and this looked bigger. I could see it's scales from the over 30 odd feet away I was above it. I phoned Tommy to get here quick to help with landing the fish. He came running and took the rod so I could climb over the rail to try and lift the fish. He suggested I try to take a photo incase we couldn't land it. I had the line in one hand and was fumbling for my phone with the other. Then I felt the line go slack...
And that was it, gone, probably never to be seen again.
We tried a few more casts but didn't get anything.
Has anyone else ever seen something like this from that far up the river?

Here's some pics..
Screenshot_2023-10-15-10-10-06-924_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2023-10-15-10-10-28-771_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2023-10-15-10-11-08-387_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2023-10-15-10-11-29-624_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg
Screenshot_2023-10-15-10-12-14-952_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpgScreenshot_2023-10-15-10-11-56-134_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg

Sorry to hear that, always gutting when you lose a good fish.

I’m sure you’ve already had the same conversation with your mate, but best to invest in a drop net for marks like that.
You’d probably hardly ever use it, but when you do need it…

Ref bass, fish of any size can and will go a long long way up estuaries if there’s food to be had. Doubles have been caught in my local estuary and it’s half the width if not less of your river.

Sorry to hear that, always gutting when you lose a good fish.

I’m sure you’ve already had the same conversation with your mate, but best to invest in a drop net for marks like that.
You’d probably hardly ever use it, but when you do need it…

Ref bass, fish of any size can and will go a long long way up estuaries if there’s food to be had. Doubles have been caught in my local estuary and it’s half the width if not less of your river.
I'm aware of that. Perhaps it had been following the new whiting in the river.
But the Mersey is not the cleanest...
In all the time I've fished there I've never seen bass caught.
We've talked about drop nets for a while. They're not the easiest to use on there as the current is often that strong they can be difficult to use. Might have to look at making one with a wider mesh...🤔

I'm aware of that. Perhaps it had been following the new whiting in the river.
But the Mersey is not the cleanest...
In all the time I've fished there I've never seen bass caught.
We've talked about drop nets for a while. They're not the easiest to use on there as the current is often that strong they can be difficult to use. Might have to look at making one with a wider mesh...🤔
Perhaps the water quality is improving?

Yep our estuary current is strong too when we fish for codling, 8oz grippers needed etc.

I hang about 2.5-3lb of lead in boat weights from the central ring but the net will still get caught by the tide.
You just need to position the net down tide of the fish then guide the fish to the net rather than vice versa.
Still not the easiest and needs two of you, but it can be done.

Great report & photos Fisha. Shame about the Bass escaping. 🎣🎣👍👍

As I read you report, I feared you were going to say you'd dropped your phone in the water as you went for a photo. Not sure which is worse!

Great report & photos Fisha. Shame about the Bass escaping. 🎣🎣👍👍

As I read you report, I feared you were going to say you'd dropped your phone in the water as you went for a photo. Not sure which is worse!
I could have got a new phone, I may never see a fish like that again in my life. Especially at that venue. Big bass are incredible rare in that area. At least I got to see it 👍

Unlucky on losing the big silver😞 Drop nets are a real faff but can be invaluable provided, as said, that you have assistance. Make a rectangular one with wide mesh and plenty of lead👍 I can say for a fact that bass go well upstream of Brunswick as we've caught them in the boat up beyond the Airport. I would not be surprised if they went up into the ship canal at times! Certainly in the Ribble they have been caught at the very top of the tidal reach.

Felt all the highs and lows with you in the report. You'll get another biggun even if it's not from there .

Great report mate, and bad luck on the lost fish, i know how that feels. Not a bad mixed bag though.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back