• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Highcliffe Dorset

Dumnonian

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Went over to Highcliffe last night as there was quite a heavy shore dump still at the Hordle/Milford beaches. I had about 4 hours to fish and it happened to be the last couple of hours of the ebb and a hour or so of the flood tide so expectations were low. Took one rod and was fishing one bait, Within 5 minutes of the first cast had the fist Dogfish was using fish baits of Sandeel Squid Sprat wrapped. Second cast another Dogfish pretty quickly and thats how it was for entire time, Some baits were hardly having chance to hit the bottom, After an hour i had to start cutting baits smaller and eventually trying to salvage the bait while unhooking the Dogs. No idea how many i actually caught but there were decent size ones medium sized ones and even a little tiny one that curled up into the palm of my hand it was that small. Certianly glad i had bent the barb flat as it made it so much easier the get the hook out when the odd one had managed to swallow it right down. Ended up running out of bait. Was hoping to try for a Ray as i have had spotted up to 6lb there recently, But i dont think they would have got a look in last night. Might have only been Dogs but its been a while since i had a fish every cast all night and ran out of bait. And when i got home the missus had got chocolate brownie ice cream and a cheesecake. I have had worse nights.

Attachments

• 598E3D44-8A1E-41B7-9D72-6EED6AA39383.jpg
    598E3D44-8A1E-41B7-9D72-6EED6AA39383.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 7820C301-5C31-479B-9415-FCC90E3684BE.jpg
    7820C301-5C31-479B-9415-FCC90E3684BE.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 14
At least you had a busy session. Ever considered eating them ?
I have never tried them personally, Very rarely keep a Bass for a friend who loves them, But i cant be bothered with the mess. The only fish i really eat now comes from the chip shop wrapped in batter.

Well done perserving through the dogfish. I can remember when they were a rarity from the shore. Not one of the most common fish to be had form shore and boat!

Pictures please of the deserts would be good next time!
It’s interesting to see how radically things have changed in terms of shore species.Going back to my early fishing career from Solent beaches in the 60s and 70s I never caught or heard of anyone catching congers, smoothounds, any species of ray, dogfish or gilthead bream from the shore. Contrast to today and this report where many of those species are prolific. I had a similar session several weeks ago and as soon as the bait hit the water it was a conger every cast and many of you have probably seen Tom Bagnall’s recent video where he was catching triple shots of small eyed ray on a 3 hook flapper rig, a feat that would have been simply unimaginable all those years ago.

It’s interesting to see how radically things have changed in terms of shore species.Going back to my early fishing career from Solent beaches in the 60s and 70s I never caught or heard of anyone catching congers, smoothounds, any species of ray, dogfish or gilthead bream from the shore. Contrast to today and this report where many of those species are prolific. I had a similar session several weeks ago and as soon as the bait hit the water it was a conger every cast and many of you have probably seen Tom Bagnall’s recent video where he was catching triple shots of small eyed ray on a 3 hook flapper rig, a feat that would have been simply unimaginable all those years ago.
I’m guessing that these species live below the level of the trawl boats.

Fished Calshot in front of the huts nearly the same times as you and it was the same, a dog fest only fun part was one rod was a 2.5lb carp rod cast short for bass or A flatty, neither of these but dogfish are fun on light gear and good to get some bites.

Busy shift mate, at least it wasn't a blank. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Fished Calshot in front of the huts nearly the same times as you and it was the same, a dog fest only fun part was one rod was a 2.5lb carp rod cast short for bass or A flatty, neither of these but dogfish are fun on light gear and good to get some bites.
I keep meaning to get over that way. Calshot is supposed to be pretty good for the Hounds later in the year have you had any luck with them?

Nice report matey! Sounds like a busy session, and the Doggyfish saved a blank. 🎣🎣👍👍

I've never eaten Dogfish, but I gather it used to be sold in Fish & Chips shops, along with Huss as Rock Salmon.
Never seen it down here. Lots of videos on Youtube on how to skin & prepare it.

I have eaten dogfish and it is tasty. Only problem is skinning the bloody things. Maybe I should eat more just to try and keep their numbers down. Used to prefer rock salmon to cod from the chippies many years ago but I think it was huss, hounds etc. Doggies are too small. Have eaten tope as well, although I didn't catch/kill it, and that was tasty as are rays.

With Dogfish & Huss, after killing it clean it then cut a v on the back of the head; cut off the fins and grab the head then with a pair of pliers and strip the skin off. Do it when you have just caught it. or it will be like sand paper and tough as old boots.

Last edited:
With Dogfish & Huss, after killing it clean it then cut a v on the back of the head; cut off the fins and grab the head then with a pair of pliers and strip the skin off. Do it when you have just caught it. or it will be like sand paper and tough as old boots.
If you get it right, can pull the skin off in one go.

I usually cut shallow around the neck, rest as you describe but cut the tail off too.

Then get the skin started with the pliers, put a foot on the head and with some effect can pull the whole lot straight off, most of the time

I usually cut shallow around the neck, rest as you describe but cut the tail off too.

Then get the skin started with the pliers, put a foot on the head and with some effect can pull the whole lot straight off, most of the time
Or the feckin head comes off, one or the other.. :D

Ian.

Is that called puting the boot in? ;)

Back