• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Holyhead June Smoothhound Fishing

Mike

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Due to being quite busy the past few weeks, it has taken me a bit of time to get around to posting up a report about this trip. I had a day as a single charter aboard Gethyn Owen's My Way 2 out of Holyhead on the 16th of June. It worked in handy as I had quite a bit of photography work to do for an urgent job that required a boat to do it on. Fishing while getting a bit of work done, ideal! Usually, the day would be shared with some friends, but with the restrictions still in place, they couldn't travel let alone get any accommodation locally.

The day started early so we could hit the best of the tide. The trip was six hours in duration and as soon as the anchor was down and the baits were in the water, we were hitting fish. Although the fish were quite small, the action was none stop, I lost count of the amount of fish we actually had but I think I'd be safe in estimating we had well into the twenties between us.

Bites were very shy and moving to a shorter, 40lb fluorocarbon hook length seemed to do the business. Coupled with two different hooks, the BKK Mutsu Circle Light - SS and also a new hook from Tronixpro that will be coming out soon. Both of these hooks were ideal for presenting a small crab bait on and resulted in every fish being nailed in the scissor.

As the day wore on we had the usual mixture of Welsh weather from overcast to sunny to full-on fog by the time the clock inched round to 1pm.

All in all a top day, with plenty of laughs and plenty of fish!

4166F3E3-E3CF-44AB-BC1B-3083F666A752.jpeg

Last edited:
Back