• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Humber & East Coast Hornsea trip report.

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening folks

Here is a round-up of our second trip, having learned a lot but still with a lot to learn.

After obsessing over the weather all week, (east or west coast), we went for the eastern option. We were both super giddy about getting to the coast again and despite getting packed and ready the night before we were still late away and even later arriving at Hornsea. We had been told about Hornsea South but couldn’t get parked so headed back to Morrow Avenue and its ample car park.
Tadcaster had been Baltic. The fog had just evaporated about 10 miles down the Hull Road, a huge bonus.
The beach was rammed, as expected, so we just kept walking and walking until we found a spot, noting that there was a big height difference between the groynes heading south, so lo and behold after half an hour we had to flee the beach for the upper prom.

h1.jpg

Using a simple 2 hook flapper with lug/squid, I had set up a smaller rod for the young ‘un as the Shakespeare Telegraph Poles I bought are just too heavy. She was on mackerel.
We had bought a pair of brilliant bait scissors; Seadra Super and they were super and were ridiculously sharp, even sharper than the cheap Rambo knife I had bought off Amazon. Definitely helped with cutting up mackerel and squid.

First cast got us a strange catch; a huge 4/0 hook with half a side of mackerel and no line, just a hook and the monster bait.
There were no other anglers nearby, so I am not sure how the hook got on our hook?

A sign? An omen? A mystery?

High tide was at 4pm and we had issues with weed. The waves were crashing up against the prom and we got a soaking each time, so we sat right back and let the dog walkers get wet in between us and the rods.

The bairn caught her first flounder after a huge bite on the light rod (it went back in) and lost something bigger the next cast. We were getting lots of bites but just couldn’t hit them.

h2.jpg

Then followed a nicely sized flounder on lug/squid, which was big enough to keep so that went home, just before we both got drenched by the ever increasing spray crashing against the prom. By this time our neighbour from down below had joined us up top, as he had got drenched too. They weren’t Perfect Storm sized waves, just unpredictable atop the prom.

We decided to bail around 5pmand then spent a comedy 15 minutes in the ice rink masquerading as a car park, frantically searching for the van keys, which after checking all our pockets and all our tackle, twice, were in the first pocket I had checked and the pocket I always keep them in, what a muppet!

After gutting the flattie at home, I had my first attempt at filleting and after about 20 minutes we had just enough for about half a fish finger, but the young ‘un cooked it and we both agreed it was the best fish we had ever tasted (we were both starving by that point).

We decided to try to catch more flatties in the future and/or bigger flatties if possible!

h3.jpg

Lessons learnt:

• Get there early to get a good spot.
  • Put waterproofs on at the start, even if it is sunny.
    (Passed a bloke in a full-on stormproof one-piece suit, he looked a lot warmer and drier than us two drowned rats!)
  • Pre-bait spare rigs, in case of tangles.
  • Try to avoid getting completely doused!
Spoke to a lot of other fishermen, nobody had caught loads, but everyone was friendly and it was a great day out.

Next trip planned for a fortnights time, tight lines to you all😊

p.s. Selling my van,

1999 Nissan Elgrand 3.3L Automatic dual fuel (Petrol and LPG).
it seats 5 comfortably and tackle. Brilliant for fishing and trips. Or seats 7 with less boot space.
Seats fold flat to make into campervan for 2.
MOT: September 2023. 33800 miles
VGC inside, outside and underneath.
Bit cheeky to slip it in here, apologies. Very reluctant sale, hard times/needs must.
Not advertised yet, asking around first.
Please PM me if you are interested or want further details.
(y)

h4.jpg

Last edited:
nice report mate, shame there were no photo's of you ice skating in the car park though! :LOL: i'm constantly checking my pocket for the van key! paranoid ill cast it out to sea or something!
:ROFLMAO:
It was the only ice we encountered all day, and it seemed that we had parked in the middle of the ice rink!
(Probably the reason that space wass free!)
I just didn't fancy ringing the wife to drive all the way to Hornsea with the spare key!
Torvill and Dean + key drama aside, it was a top day out 😁

Great report & photos TadLad! The smile on your little one's face says it all! 🎣🎣👍👍

Flounder are good eating, as are Plaice & Dabs, but I usually clean 'em out and cut off the head & tail, snip the frills (or fins) around the edge off, and pan fry them whole. The meat just falls off the bones when cooked, and less waste!

Shame the van has to go, but good luck with selling it.

Thanks Trampster
Hope you are well.
The young 'un was chuffed to bits, first flounder (which was the first fish I ever caught).
She had a few dabs last time, but they were only tiddlers, this was a better size and catching your tea is always a huge bonus.
It was really tasty, but I think the chef in the cookbook must have been filleting a giant halibut as he seemed to have a lot more fish at the end than we did!
Next time will fry it whole 🍳

Next trip a week on Saturday, counting down, already packed :)🎣🤞

Back