• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

I can not believe I am doing this.

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi lure anglers

My name is Shirl, a dyed in the wool BAIT angler.
God, I really can not believe I am in the lure section.
I am asking this question for a friend, honest. Well, for my partner Jax to be totally honest.
It seems she likes playing with plastics and rubber o_O
The trouble is, apart from her playing with plastics and rubber, is that the only reel I have for her to use is a 10,000 Shimano Bait runner. Great on the light Bass rods but a bit ungainly on the Lineffe Lure rod she uses! So, what shall I buy? The reel needs to be simple to use, smooth ish, fairly salt water friendly, able to hold 150yds of 20Lb braid and finally it needs to be cheap! Like under £50 cheap. Oh, and it needs a drag that actually works, not so much for the uk but more shore Coalfish and Pollack in Norway.
Thank you in advance.

Ill be back later once I have cleansed myself with lug and cuttle guts :)

I use cheapish reels as i can not be that bothered to pamper them, a quick wipe and that's it.
I am still using "free" Lineffe reels i had free with TSF mag subscription no problems, they must be a good few years old, although i do have a Penn reel and the casting length is noticeably different.
I did buy a new reel 2 years ago loaded with braid but have not used it yet for around £25 from Angling Direct.

No doubt others will give you advice.

For LRF or mullet fishing I use an Abu 174sw or a Jarvis Walker 2000 size, both have rear drag adjusters and designed for salt water use.

Last edited:
Just found this which given the number of spare spools looks useful.

Hi lure anglers

My name is Shirl, a dyed in the wool BAIT angler.
God, I really can not believe I am in the lure section.
I am asking this question for a friend, honest. Well, for my partner Jax to be totally honest.
It seems she likes playing with plastics and rubber o_O
The trouble is, apart from her playing with plastics and rubber, is that the only reel I have for her to use is a 10,000 Shimano Bait runner. Great on the light Bass rods but a bit ungainly on the Lineffe Lure rod she uses! So, what shall I buy? The reel needs to be simple to use, smooth ish, fairly salt water friendly, able to hold 150yds of 20Lb braid and finally it needs to be cheap! Like under £50 cheap. Oh, and it needs a drag that actually works, not so much for the uk but more shore Coalfish and Pollack in Norway.
Thank you in advance.

Ill be back later once I have cleansed myself with lug and cuttle guts :)
Quantum Drive 30, £30 from BobCo in Leeds. If it had a Shimano label and cost £100, everyone would rave about it. PH

Quantum Drive 30, £30 from BobCo in Leeds. If it had a Shimano label and cost £100, everyone would rave about it. PH
That looks a tidy little reel for the money!

I've had a Throttle 50 (red and black one) for a few years now, can't fault it at all apart from.one mistake on my part when I left the drag done up a few times after use sunhat to replace the drag washers at last. Now replaced them with carbontex from Blackdog tackle and it feels amazing again. It's been mainly used for summer hound fishing off boats and some spinning into deep water around Anglesey. I've used it a couple of times drifting for pollack on the south coast too which it handled very well.
The main bonus for me with the throttle is it has a metal body so no flex under heavy loads like some composite/graphite reels may have.
I'll admit, it's by no means the most amazing reel, but should be within budget and will definately handle what you want it for.
Also, the drag works well enough to bring in the odd Thornback against the tide when after the hounds.

Does it come with any spare spools please as the website isnt clear? How do you find line lay pls?

My boys have begun to get into more lure fishing so always on the look out for reels that will last a season of abuse!!

Does it come with any spare spools please as the website isnt clear? How do you find line lay pls?

My boys have begun to get into more lure fishing so always on the look out for reels that will last a season of abuse!!
No spare spool. Line lay is perfect - no fiddling about adding or subtracting washers. I wash the reel and braid and back off the drag after use and periodically lube the roller bearing.
The only fault I found was the drag was a bit sticky due to heavy grease between the drag washers. Took it apart, wiped off the grease, re-lubed washers with light silicone grease, now perfect.
The Drive is the successor to the Throttle but the spools are interchangeable.
When you eventually wear the gears out (and I haven't yet), buy another one and you have a spare spool and a host of spare parts! PH

I've found a few on wish!
I brought a couple of needle fish lures off wish, other than a long delivery I now get inundated with bl**dy emails (4 a day min) have now blocked them.

Back