• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales I JUST KNEW

VooDooMan 2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I shouldn't have gone :oops: Graham , my fishing buddy, was very keen to get out and against my better judgement and 35 years worth of experience I gave in and arranged to meet him on our local surf beach . Why didn't I want to go you may ask? The tides are huge right now 8.4 mtrs on the local scale :eek:I normally wouldn't fish this venue on anything above 7 mtrs. Daylight and bright sunshine and very little breeze. All factors that go against catching anything on this venue. Managed to get a lb of quality blow lug from my normal bait supplier , frozen blacks and Graham had got some some " fresh " razor clams from Morrison's . One rod each and just a few traces and leads in the shoulder bag saw us heading on to the beach about 3.5 hours before high. The waters edge was still along way off and we could make out some sand banks still exposed . No surf what so ever was another negative factor :( Rigged up with a Wessex trace , with snoods of varying length , pennel hook rig for some big worm baits and a few white beads . 170grms breakaway lead as I knew the tide and current would make it impossible to hold bottom with a plain lead . Although we had stopped a fair distance from the water by the time we set it was lapping around the rod stands . Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say I was certainly willing to give it a go. The tide flooded relentlessly and at one stage Graham was down to the backing on his FS spool. Weed floating around didn't help matters so the first 2 hours were pretty hard going with no bites . My Wessex rig was often coming back in tangled so I changed to a two hook flapper with slightly shorter snoods and different coloured beads. Now to all intents and purposes this beach looks to be a very gradual and shallow gradient but as we moved back I realised that the closer we got to the HW mark it does get slightly steeper and there for we would be fishing in to slightly deeper water . Now ,I have heard of dog fish being caught here but have never seen one caught and certainly never caught one myself , but Graham has a knack of surprising me and managed to land one :rolleyes::rolleyes: The last 1.5 hours saw us both getting bites but unable to hook up to anything which was very frustrating . Packed up dead on HW with all the blow lug used and only a few blacks to go back in the freezer . Got back to the cars and Graham thanked me for coming but in future would listen when I told him the conditions weren't right and the TIDES TO BIG . Still it was good to out in a great place with good company .

A lesson learnt is probably to best way to describe sessions like that then. At least you were out.

I am sure the fresh air did you and your mate good though.

Had a session like that year before last, mate wouldn’t listen when I said it would be too rough. We were back in the motors a hour after arriving.

Cracker of a report ?

Back