• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East I tried.

Stevie69

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well just got in from my first session of my winter season. Met up with a workmate Dan only a young lad of 27 he's fished before a few years ago but never my local beach.
After scanning the beach yesterday dinner time to see where the holes and gullies where I knew where we were going to fish.we got on to the beach at half 9 bait was lug rag and squid. The wash was still coming over the sand bar but we managed to wade knee deep onto the sand bar to fish. Low water was 00.05am we both had nothing for the first hour then the bites started Dan got the first one a whiting around 1lb and returned it back to fight another day. Then my turn I got a Tommie around 1 1/2lb it was returned then it went mad for half an hour the weights weren't even hitting the sand under the water and fish on every cast for both of us ,whiting all around the pound mark. Bang on low water it went dead. Once the tide turned it went nuts again whiting every chuck then Dan said he had something bigger on, a codling around 3lb which he kept lucky ?. We fished on till 01.45 but started to get washed off the sand bar so a very busy night and most enjoyable. Sorry I've got no pics as I didn't take my phone with me, I was disappointed I didn't get a bass but that's fishing. Off to bed now as I'm up early to go with another mate to try and pump some blacks to freeze for later on in the season?.

Busy enough mate. Not had a decent whiting session for a few years, i'd be well happy with that.Shame no bass about for you

Holderness ? I hear the Tings have been showing along there .

Dave
I'm up on the north east coast I was fishing my favorite beach at crimdon it's been a few years since I had a session like last night constantly busy pleased I only used one rod.

Nice report Stevie - well done! ??

I've never bothered with whiting's to eat if I do keep them on the rare occasion they don't go back due to been gut hooked I'll give them to my dogs.

to be honest, eating wise, id sooner a decent whiting fillet to a cod fillet
sweeter n also makes fantastic fishcakes :)

cod are ok, but soon as they are over 6-7 lb, they get a bit wormy, and the taste falls away
a nice brace of 3--4lbs normally suffices if im instructed to bring cod home

Back