• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Keeping ragworm

Lots and lots of salt. Make sure they're completely encased in it. Let the salt suck the moisture out of them then repeat.
Then freeze as said above.
TBH I've not caught much other than whiting and doggies on salted rag.
In the fridge is best for keeping them for use a few days later, vermiculite, peat, damp seaweed but a lot will die and they must be removed quickly and they won't be as good as freshly dug worms. They will be a lot less firm and lively.
If I've only got a few and no-one else on the beach wants them I'm happy to chuck them in the sea.
The better your bait the better your catch.

In a bait fridge. Box half filled with sea water and an aerator pump. Have the air stones in the top inch or so of the water so they don't disturb the rag in the bottom. Position the air lines and simply shut the fridge door. Intact worms last for many weeks/months like this until they start spawning and turn green. You may need to change the water a couple of time as they flush themselves of weed ect but then the water should stay clear. Hopefully they get used well before that happens. I like to have a stock of worms kept like that for whenever a break in the weather turns up and don't have to rely on spring tides coinciding with that in order to dig them.

Back