• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Kirkcudbright Bay 22/10/22

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
High tide was 10.35pm and about 6.5m. A small gap in the gales and pissing wet rain saw me pick up my mate about half six. We had first lines in the water at just aftef 7pm. Mate was first in with a thornie, but it didn't count unfortunately as it fell off as I went to lift it. By thd time I got back to yh rod it was it was fish on, Thornie, this time it came ashore 1-0.
I went 8-2 up with a doggie, two whiting and five thornies, mate had a thornie and a whiting. Then I fecked my shoulder took a wobble on the rocks put my arm out and jarred it badly. It had been sore already but that buggered it. I all but gave in at that point and we were still an hour before high.
The mate then started his comeback and ended up with total of three thornies, two doggies, five whiting and a surprise catch of two strap congers. He caught them all on straight mackerel, I was catching on sardine, squid and razorfish.
Had to call it early as I was sitting in pain which was a bugger as it was a great night, never had to put the jacket on and I am sure we would have caught lots more.
I did have one strange one during the night where I got bit off by something, felt like a good fish whatever it was, 40lb amnesia it went through.
Barring the injury another good session.

Nice catch of thornies thrasher!

I have been looking for somewhere to fish in that that area I have a caravan at CD , are your marks secret or would let me know, this year I tried Carrick beach 3 times but blanked all 3 .

I wasn't sure if was even a fishing mark, I only saw people with lure rods no signs of beach angling, mind you it was during the day and I had to put if swimmers kayaks and paddle boarding, but I was looking for easy access . Not bothered what I catch I had a carp/pike road out with sand eel targeting dogfish and a beachcaster with frozen black, but all came back with polished hooks . Do people actually catch between the beach and the island , Heard you can walk across on the right tide and fish far side of island but tides weren't low enough when I was there .

I think they do. Not an area i have fished yet and not looked at the crosding to the island but yes aware some cross to fish it. I think the more popular place is fishing off the point of the long finger of rock to the right of where you were.
As you say summertime there is full of holidaying families, both sides of the Fleet bay really.

Is it easy access marks you need? Do you night fish?

Yes I could night fish , when I sea fish locally it's usually after dark and I fish two hours in and 2 hours out
I think they do. Not an area i have fished yet and not looked at the crosding to the island but yes aware some cross to fish it. I think the more popular place is fishing off the point of the long finger of rock to the right of where you were.
As you say summertime there is full of holidaying families, both sides of the Fleet bay really.

Is it easy access marks you need? Do you night fish?

Back