• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lampreys

daddeek

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I pulled a bass in this morning which had a large lamprey attached. Does anyone know if the bass is now safe to eat? A quick Google search indicates its OK but I'd rather hear from people who have first hand experience of this. I am going on the assumption that if lampreys carry something nasty, it will find its way into the hosts bloodstream. Or is it the case that lampreys are no different to any other fish in terms of carrying nasties and are safe to eat? Any views are welcome.

I pulled a bass in this morning which had a large lamprey attached. Does anyone know if the bass is now safe to eat? A quick Google search indicates its OK but I'd rather hear from people who have first hand experience of this. I am going on the assumption that if lampreys carry something nasty, it will find its way into the hosts bloodstream. Or is it the case that lampreys are no different to any other fish in terms of carrying nasties and are safe to eat? Any views are welcome.
Have you tried googling it?

Sorry you have already done that. If not sure then bin it. Better safe than sorry as the saying goes.

Cant imagine any harm will come (could be wrong) but id just cut the part out that the Lamprey was attached to fillet the Bass and it would be in the pan and i would then never give the issue a second thought. Fish n chips on a Friday lovely.

Cant imagine any harm will come (could be wrong) but id just cut the part out that the Lamprey was attached to fillet the Bass and it would be in the pan and i would then never give the issue a second thought. Fish n chips on a Friday lovely.
Bass and chips! Sacrilege!!
Mediterranean oven bake at the very least! 😂

Welcome to the Madhouse daddeek! 👍👍

are you sure its not a hagfish pink coloured things we get a lot in the northeast
generaly full of slime i wouldent touch a fish that had been hagged look up on google
D.S.J. 🦀

Last edited:
Back