• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Last two weekend's

Emmcee75

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
16/10, decided on a trip to Hurst shingle bank to fish the ebb. Arrived half hour before top of the tide and with no one else fishing I set up in the same spot as a recent productive trip to this venue. Plumped for usual 2 hook size 4 clipped scratching rig and the second rod with a loop rig incorporating 1/0 hooks. First chuck and the loop rig rod hooped over so I leaned in to it only for whatever was on the end to drop the bait after 5-10 seconds, disappointing but encouraging none the less I thought. The next hour brought the left to right pull and some weed breaking out the leads but no bites. Birds were working along way out so I was also encouraged by that. The left to right pull all but came to a halt after an hour of the ebb and with each recast I was putting the baits further and further out hoping to find some fish. Mid way down and the tip rattled on the scratching rod and then pulled down and up the shingle came a plump 29cm bream. Unhooked, slipped fish into a bucket of water and recast, back in the tripod and just about to sit down and the loop rig rod pulls round and this time a double shot of a bream and a gurnard. 20211016_132456.jpg
The next half hour and I had another 3 bream, biggest being 30cm so some more nice eating. Forgot to take pics at the time but bagged up at home and a couple of nice meals coming up. 20211017_113247.jpg
The rest of the ebb though produced nothing, not even rod rattles so packed up just as the flood started.
For the evening high i decided to fish hordle cliffs and I've got to say I've never seen it so busy, must have been 20 plus anglers there. This time one rod with the loop rig baited with ragworm and squid and the other a pulley dropper baited with sandeel/squid wraps or lug/squid wraps. A very quiet night ensued with the loop rig producing 8 pin whiting and 1 smut pup throughout the session with one going back out as a live bait, nothing on the other rod. The weed became a challenge in the end so so called it a night.
20211016_224823.jpg20211016_224844.jpg 20211016_215304.jpg
23/10, a look at the forecast and a bit of wind was due on the south coast so decided on a trip to selsey east beach to hopefully get a bit of shelter if the wind picked up too much. Arrived just before dark and with only a few anglers in the area I decided upon (skate park) i set up my rods. This time I went away from my usual set up of scratching rod on one and went with an up and over 3/0 pennel baited with either whole squid, mackerel or squid/mackerel wraps on one and the other a pulley dropper with 2/0 baited with frozen black and squid. A few small rattles occured now and again and the baits coming back well stripped showed that I should have maybe gone in with my scratching rod but I percivered. Weed wasn't a problem like it can be at selsey but the wind was causing quite a swell and this was making bite detection difficult and I've not normally done that well when its rough. On one retrieve and a pouting was on the end of the black lug rod so blank saved and that ended up being the highlight of my evening. 20211023_235003.jpg
20211024_005710.jpg
Tight lines.

Great report and nice photos Emmcee - you certainly put the effort in! ??

Persistence is key with this fishing malarkey!!
Nice catches mate, keep ‘em comin.

Lots of hard work there! Well done on the bag of bream for the freezer.

Lots of hard work there! Well done on the bag of bream for the freezer.
Think I've said it on another thread but I'm preferring bream to bass as a fish to eat if I'm honest. Seen a few a reports of some really decent bream from chesil recently, hopefully get another trip down there soon before they head out.
It is hard work but if I don't catch then I know it wasn't for the want of trying Haha.

Those bream on light gear are great sport. Weed is the one thing that spoils a session for me and that picture shows how bad it can get. Good round up and pictures.

Back