• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Late decision to raid the freezer

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
The boys and I had some unexpected freedom last night, but, tiny tides and no planning meant we had to raid the freezer for some second rate Sandeel and Launce. Having let the boys choose the venue last time out, it was my turn so I decided on a remote mark to get away from everyone else. Basically a poor venue choice with two lads without waders and a much stronger current than envisaged meant the fishing wasn’t great. However, in amongst dealing with broken rods, crack offs, copious weed and trying to educate them about bites in the challenging circumstance, I managed two casts and pulled in a small eyed ray. Boys found it fascinating to see one, especially when it tried to grab my finger whilst unhooking. Sadly my eldest was getting tired toward the end of the session and completely missed a great bite which resulted in the trace going uptide at a rate of knots.

Still all in all a good session, but, boys decided they preferred the constant action of small pout, whiting and pollack from the packed pier to the peace and solitude of the lonely coast. Cannot win them all.7B996A2B-4E12-4DB9-AF09-EF63D5160487.jpeg

Attachments

• 0496F93D-64B9-4B14-9353-FA37B2BCDFDA.jpeg
    0496F93D-64B9-4B14-9353-FA37B2BCDFDA.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Well done on the Ray , great to get the kids out , but keeping them occupied is another thing .

Great report mate and a lovely small eye.
Gutted you’re boy missed a good bite. But there is plenty of time.

Well done great catch, piccys and report,do the boys like the pier because they know they can beat dad there ??????? (What pier)

Well done on the Ray , great to get the kids out , but keeping them occupied is another thing .
That is the challenge, they like constant bites and activity, not worried about quality just action.

Well done great catch, piccys and report,do the boys like the pier because they know they can beat dad there ??????? (What pier)
there maybe something in that?? just piers around Plymouth.

Nice one Flips. There was a fierce old swell last night, it was hard work on a north coast surf beach.

How old are the boys? Perhaps they’ll be better at applying themselves to tougher marks in a few years?

Nice one Flips. There was a fierce old swell last night, it was hard work on a north coast surf beach.

How old are the boys? Perhaps they’ll be better at applying themselves to tougher marks in a few years?
The swell and current for a neap did catch us out. They are 12 year old twins, the older one is an all important few minutes older:unsure:. Think you are right, best to let them just enjoy what fishing they like and hopefully it will give them a desire to move on in the sport.

The swell and current for a neap did catch us out. They are 12 year old twins, the older one is an all important few minutes older:unsure:. Think you are right, best to let them just enjoy what fishing they like and hopefully it will give them a desire to move on in the sport.
‘Older’ lol!

Yep we had the same last night although it was expected.

As you know, what it does mean is you have to be more on the ball, moving a lot and constantly adjusting things. I had to recast a rod three times last night after it started drifting towards the other, even with a 6oz gripper.
All for relatively few bites. (But of course when you do get something it could very well be worth having!)

Probably all a bit too much for 12 year olds just starting out in fishing.
Then again, I’ve known a few adults that couldn’t hack it either!

Well done on the ray and keeping their interest going as long as you can, shame he missed the good bite, bet they would have wanted to stay all night if it had been landed.

Back