• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Late report - whiting from Devon, one with a guest🤢

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So went out with my boys to try and get some whiting for their beloved fish cake recipe. Pretty much as soon as the light went it was all go. The usual vanguard of smaller ones, then later on as the tide built we had a few up to 1lb 4oz. We stepped up from size 1 hooks to 2/0 and 3/0 to try and be more selective in targeting the bigger whiting, such was the volume of the shoals out there. The fixed pat with hook below the lead seemed to catch more and bigger fish compared to the running ledger and urfe rigs.

One of the bigger ones actually coughed up a smaller fresh whiting, proving predatory they are. Most of the fish came to lug and sandeel. We also had pout, blennies and small pollack.

However, the weirdest thing was catching a small whiting with a guest attached! The lamprey left a nasty mark on the whiting, but it swam off quickly so hopefully no lasting damage. Boys wanted to keep the Lamprey for pike bait, but, it was returned to grow a bit too.

Not sure if you can target the lampreys on Isome John, but, they are around🤪🤣
765EB74B-5FB4-489F-9F21-44BB6AC29E65.jpeg

So went out with my boys to try and get some whiting for their beloved fish cake recipe. Pretty much as soon as the light went it was all go. The usual vanguard of smaller ones, then later on as the tide built we had a few up to 1lb 4oz. We stepped up from size 1 hooks to 2/0 and 3/0 to try and be more selective in targeting the bigger whiting, such was the volume of the shoals out there. The fixed pat with hook below the lead seemed to catch more and bigger fish compared to the running ledger and urfe rigs.

One of the bigger ones actually coughed up a smaller fresh whiting, proving predatory they are. Most of the fish came to lug and sandeel. We also had pout, blennies and small pollack.

However, the weirdest thing was catching a small whiting with a guest attached! The lamprey left a nasty mark on the whiting, but it swam off quickly so hopefully no lasting damage. Boys wanted to keep the Lamprey for pike bait, but, it was returned to grow a bit too.

Not sure if you can target the lampreys on Isome John, but, they are around🤪🤣
View attachment 37462
I wonder if I could claim it as a spieces catch 🤔🤔

I find the parasites on fish a bit "icky" somehow. I don't like touching the ones we see on wrasse. Never seen a lamprey, so that is interesting in itself. whiting are nice to eat. Getting out with your boys is a definite winner, nice one.

Great report & photos Flipper. That Whiting looks a reasonable size? 🎣🎣👍👍

Henry 1 st is reputed to have died due to eating a “Surfeit of Lampreys “

Rather him than me , they are horrible things. A few of the rivers I fish have them , oooogly buggers with a mouth resembling a dustbin with teeth all around the outside.

Dave

Henry 1 st is reputed to have died due to eating a “Surfeit of Lampreys “

Rather him than me , they are horrible things. A few of the rivers I fish have them , oooogly buggers with a mouth resembling a dustbin with teeth all around the outside.

Dave
Never seen one Dave, but they do seem similar to Leeches to me.

Back