• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Launching tomorrow

Scott reed

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Morning lads and lasses, hope your all having a decent Sunday morning.
So I'm launching my boat for the first time tomorrow, putting it on its river mooring, depending on weather, we may take it for a run to blyth Bay or newbiggin and back.
Because I've primarily done shore fishing, and only done boat fishing on my pals boat with his rods, would I be okay with a normal rod and traditional reel (for now) or should I be using a boat rod and multiplier?

Hope you all have a decent day.

Nowt to stop you using what I presume is a beachcaster on the boat,bit long for the job in hand but okay as a stop gap until you can get some boat gear.You are not likely to come across anything much bigger than you could handle from the shore.

Last edited:
As he said ^^! You will find a beach rod (if that's what you meant) a bit awkward in a boat, but it will be OK for now. Any reel that is OK on a beach rod should be OK for the boat - a boat reel doesn't have to be a multiplier. If funds are limited, keep an eye on local sites like Gumtree etc. Loads of 2nd hand bargains out there.

As the lads have said, no problem using shore tackle on a boat, the fish don’t care!

But…. You will find something of beachcaster length a real pain in a smaller boat, it is quite awkward.
I don’t know what the tides are like where you’re going, or what sort of weight you’ll need, but if you have anything shorter that you use from the shore, it will make life much easier, if it can handle the conditions.

As Tramps says, you can pick up boat rods pretty cheap, either second hand or get something off eBay etc.

You could probably pick up something new for £30. It wouldn’t be quality but it would get you fishing.

What conditions will you be fishing? Depth, strength of tide? How much weight is needed?

When I started out boat fishing I bought one of the Shakespeare boat combos. I was skint having spent a shed load on the boat. To be honest I wasn’t expecting much in the way of quality or longevity. Three years on and I’ve had loads of fish on it and it’s often left onboard so hasn’t been loved. The plan was to buy better eventually but this this rod and reel doesn’t want to give up anytime soon. Only thing I’d recommend is swapping to braid, it’s a game changer on wrecks at 60m plus.

Back